Homemade Strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups

by Cate on April 22, 2010

Strawberry Fruit Roll-Up

I’ve got to say, I got a few surprised glances when I mentioned I was making homemade fruit roll-ups, but really, why not?  The kids definitely like fruit roll-ups and fruit snacks, but most of the ones that you can buy seem so full of stuff they just don’t need in their little bodies, so again, why not?

A lot of the recipes I’ve seen for fruit roll-ups before have been a little complicated, lengthy or just more involved than I want to get, but once I found an uber-easy recipe that required only four ingredients?  No contest.   This recipe was no more complicated than a little bit of stirring and a lot of baking.  And with the strawberries looking so gorgeous lately, it was the perfect time to make them.  I seriously cannot wait until farmer’s market season.  It’s all about the little things.

And the taste?  It’s all about the fruit.  You don’t get that slick, manufactured, slightly plastic-y taste with these.  The fruit is the shining star, as it should be.  Definitely a make again recipe.  Again.  And again.  And again.

Row of Roll-Ups

Project 365
April 22, 2010, Photo #82

Playing Mommy

Under that little pink and brown blanket is a tiny puppy.  He was cold.  The orange cup is because he was thirsty.  And believe me, she wouldn’t accept an empty cup.  It has water in it.  Madeline is rocking the stroller back and forth because the puppy was upset and couldn’t sleep.  She’s going to be such a good Mommy.

Homemade Strawberry Fruit Roll-Ups
Recipe courtesy of Fly Through Our Window

4 lbs of strawberries, cleaned, stemmed and chopped
2 cups of unsweetened applesauce
Juice of ½ lemon
½ to ¾ cup of sugar {optional but recommended}

Blend fruit ingredients in blender until smooth. Add to heavy saucepan and add sugar if needed, bring to boil while stirring. Reduce heat and skim foam from the top with a spoon. Simmer over low/medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes (this part took me more like 1.5 hours), stirring frequently, until mixture has properly reduced. Pour mixture onto a parchment or plastic wrapped cookie sheet and bake at 145 {with convection if you have it} for 8 to 10 hours. Cut into strips and roll up with parchment.

Joanne April 23, 2010 at 6:12 am

I haven’t had fruit roll-ups in a LONG time. I really like the all-natural shoe leather though…it actually tastes like real fruit and is so much more delicious than its artificial counterpart.

mandy April 23, 2010 at 9:47 am

Wow, this roll up recipe does sound really great, but I’ve already got my heart set on the chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes. ;-)

Sarah Caron April 23, 2010 at 11:04 am

Bake for 8-10 hours? Oh my goodness. The four ingredients part sounds great but the time is a bit much for me.

Cate April 23, 2010 at 11:54 am

Sarah – just put it in the oven when you go to bed. When you wake up, it’s done. :)

Ramona April 23, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. I really do hate that so much of the stuff we eat has things I can’t even pronounce.

claire April 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Wow, I’m so surprised at the LITTLE amount of sugar that is in this (and is even optional!). Healthy fruit roll ups! Awesome.

Jen April 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I’ll share this recipe with my sister who has little ones. Great idea!

It is so cute how Madeline takes care of the puppy!

Jaimie April 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm

thank you. i will be making these sooon. : )

debbie April 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm

LOVE this idea. But my oven doesn’t go down that low. I suspect 200 might be just high enough to kill it. Bah.

Cate April 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Debbie – ahh, good reminder. Mine only goes down to 175 and that’s what I used, and it was in there for 10 hours, so would think you’d be able to get away with 200.

Nanette @ SmilingMom April 24, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Cate,
How long and where do you store these? I’m about to make them. Thanks for the recipe.

Aimee April 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm

WOW! I am impressed you tackled this recipe! How fantastic.

Cate April 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Nanette – I kept mine in the fridge. Recipe said about a week. Mine are still good, was a week yesterday. Hope that helps. :)

Nanette @ SmilingMom April 24, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Thanks! I’m cutting strawberries as we speak!

Nanette @ SmilingMom April 25, 2010 at 11:13 am

OK, I just ruined these. I’m feeling a bit frustrated, because really…it wasn’t hard. Sigh. I’ll give it another try next weekend. Some things I’d love if you could post with the recipe:

1-How many cookie sheets does this mixture cover?
2-How do you know when the roll ups are done in the oven?
3-When it comes out of the oven, how long do you let it cool before you cut it up? Do you remove the wax sheet from the pan you baked it in while cooling? Should the fruit mixture still be mushy or should it be more leathery?
4-How long does it cool before cutting and storing?

Thanks! I feel like such a novice today…

Leslie April 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm

These are great..i have never thought to make my own fruit roll ups!