Ranch Oyster Crackers

by Cate on May 13, 2010

Ranch Oyster Crackers

Memories are a powerful thing.  Sometimes they come at you full force.  Sometimes they creep in, like a little scent, wafting its way to your nose.  Sometimes you don’t even remember something until something else triggers it, and all the sudden it comes rushing back.  If you don’t know by now, I’m big on memories.  Creating them.  Remembering them.  Preserving them.

Awhile back, a few months ago, I came across a recipe for Ranch Oyster Crackers.   All the sudden, I remembered having them when I was a kid.  My mom must have made them for us, but I had completely forgotten all about them until I came across a recipe for them.

Tonight, we opted to skip dinner.  I’m spent.  Beyond spent.  Nobody was hungry.  We snacked on things that we foraged from the refrigerator.  Everyone was happy.  And with the extra time, we made the Ranch Oyster Crackers.  After they came out of the oven and cooled off, Nick couldn’t shovel them into his mouth fast enough.

Shoveling as Fast as He Can

“This is like what Grandpa Pedro used to make.”  Grandpa Pedro is The Ex’s dad who passed away a few years ago.  This was the first time Nick mentioned him ever making these crackers.

“Really?”

“Yes, he used to put garlic in it when he made it.  Did you do that too?”

“Yes, I did.”

“So good, Mom, so good.”

“Are you sure he made these?”

“Pretty sure.”

We’ll have to check with The Ex and The Sister-in-Law, but if Nick’s right, I love that a fun little, easy snack brought back happy memories for both of us.

Project 365
May 13, 2010, Photo #93 and #94

Monkey on the Loose

The commentary behind the scenes for this picture is not good. The picture is titled Monkey on the Loose. Can you guess why? So tonight, a neighbor stopped by for a bit, and we’re sitting in the playroom while the kids played. Madeline darted off to get her favorite pink puppy (a gift from her big brother on Valentine’s Day, darn it if that thing doesn’t go everywhere with us), and when she came back, she didn’t have the puppy, but she had a mouth full of something white. Little devil.

Nick had spent the day out with a friend today (school was closed), and it was his friends’ sister’s birthday, so I made cupcakes for her for when they got back. I usually leave a bunch unfrosted, so they’re less messy and less sugary for Madeline and her other little friends. Apparently Miss Madeline is on to my little tricks and she was having none of that. When she went off to get her puppy, she must have spied the bowl of frosting in the kitchen. She pulled her little chair over to the counter and helped herself. Below, more evidence. Little crumbs as she stuck her unfrosted cupcake into the frosting bowl.  Little stinker.

Evidence

The Ex Update: I went to visit him for a bit in the hospital today. Given the fact that he had a heart attack yesterday, he looked better than I expected. Not that he looked rarin’ to go, but you know what I mean.  One doctor said he can probably go home tomorrow, and another said Saturday.  Both said he can resume “life as normal,” and seemed to think that he was recovering well, although he does have to go back in a few weeks to have another stent put in.  He has a headache because of the meds, and was having trouble sleeping (the constant beeping all around is enough to drive anyone crazy), so I’m sure he’ll rest a lot better at home.  Thanks for all the kind words and comments – I really appreciate all your good thoughts!

The Eli Update: He made it downstairs on his own this morning, and outside on his own, but spends most of the day not moving.  At all.  For now, vet said he’s ok with that because at least he’s resting.  As much as he’s a pain in the arse sometimes, I miss the old Eli, and am hoping he’ll be back to his old self soon enough.  In the meantime, we wait and see.  But at least he’s not worse, so I’m going to go with the small victory approach for now.

Ranch Oyster Crackers

• 1 (1 ounce) package Ranch-style dressing mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used minced garlic)
  • 5 cups oyster crackers (the size of the regular Trader Joes’ box)
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the dressing mix, dill weed, vegetable oil, and garlic. Add oyster crackers, and toss to coat. Spread evenly on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring gently after 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool before serving.
Tags:

Sarah Caron May 14, 2010 at 12:22 am

Wonderful stories tonight … and good to hear that things are improving on the Ex and Eli fronts.

Joanne May 14, 2010 at 6:16 am

Good news on both Eli and the Ex front! What I like to hear.

I can’t get over the fact that you MADE oyster crackers. I didn’t think that people made oyster crackers, only machines. Very cool.

The Sister In-Law May 14, 2010 at 7:23 am

and here I thought this would be an upbeat post and I’m weeping like a baby. I don’t think my dad ever made Oyster Crackers in his life but Nick’s memory is not off. Dad always shared crackers with Nick when they visited. Dad was a big fan of crackers (any type/kind). Cuban crackers, the kind you get at a Cuban Bakery, are very similar in texture and flavor.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes, thoughts and prayers!!

Glad Eli is better and hopefully he’ll be up in no time!!!

SIL

Ramona May 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Yes, glad Eli and Ex are doing better.

Madaline, what a mess. You need to watch her 24/7 don’t you!

Silverspoon May 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

Small pretzel knots or squares are delicious in this mix also, replacing oyster crackers.

Shannon May 14, 2010 at 12:00 pm

hope the healing continues for eli and the ex! i totally remember these crackers :)

The Neighbor Husband May 14, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Work has been real busy this week so I decided to get all caught up today. WOW what a week. I was going to call you tonight for updates. Let the ex know the wife and I were asking for him. Feels weird saying ex. Give Eli hugs and treats. I am sure we will see you this weekend. Let us know if you, the ex, or Eli need anything. We need everyone to get well. I want a normal (no excitement (the bad type) SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

claire May 14, 2010 at 8:33 pm

WHAT A POST!!!
1. Oyster crackers: I have such childhood memories from this. My mom would make these EVERY Christmas and put them in this specific tin, a red one with a country church on the front. They were my favorite, except we made them with Italian dressing. When she was cleaning out tins, I wouldn’t let her get rid of the church one!

2. I was picturing the frosting all over the floor, glad it was just all over your little monkey! I must agree, though, the frosting is the best part!

3. Glad to hear the ex is doing so well. It will be a recovery time but I’m so glad that those kiddos still have their daddy! And you are right…the beeping is enough to drive one insane. I’m sitting in the NICU work room right now listening to a chorus of it. However, if you’re tired enough…no beep will keep you awake!

4. Poor Eli! I hope he’s up and back to his normal self soon!

Annie May 14, 2010 at 9:06 pm

A long time reader, who lives in New York HAS to post tonight to say that my grandmother made ranch oyster crackers for me as a kid. I’ve had a rough night and bringing back those memories was a nice treat. Must make them soon for my little one who is just a month younger than your Madeline. Hope the warm memories helped you as much as they did me.

thecoffeesnob May 15, 2010 at 11:51 pm

How good do those crackers look and sound!

Glad to hear both the Ex and Eli are recovering well :)

Jen May 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I love the “evidence” left behind by Maddie – so cute! Stay strong!

Leslie May 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Yep..these crackers bring back fond memories for me too! we used to have them alllll the time!
I am glad you ex was better than expected!

Steph June 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

Love these crackers! Use to eat them all the time growing up. I should make these soon.