Chicken Parmesan Burgers

by Cate on June 3, 2010

Coming Up

A few weeks ago, I put a magnetic clip on our refrigerator (one of many already there) to hold recipes that I plan on making in the next week or so.  My intent was two-fold … I wouldn’t forget what I wanted to make and second, I wouldn’t lose the recipes.  I have been on a terrible losing-things streak lately, so even though I still can’t find my GPS or iPod or one of my camera cards, at least I wouldn’t lose the current recipes I’m trying out.  And for me, it works as a loose menu plan.

This morning, Nick spied a recipe for Chicken Parmesan Burgers that I had ripped out of a recent issue of Bon Appetit.

“Mom, what is that?”

“Chicken Parmesan Burgers.  I’m making them soon.”

“They look really good.  What’s that purple stuff?”

“Radicchio.  It’s like a kind of lettuce.  Do you want them for dinner tonight?”

“Sure.”

And so it was.  Given this is the picture he saw, no wonder why he wanted it.

Inspired By

The recipe is in BA’s Fast Fresh Easy column, one of my go-to sections in the magazine. It listed the total time as 35 minutes, and it was on the table in 25, and that was including three trips to referee bickering between the kids. It definitely had the taste components of chicken parm, and even better, it was kid-approved and made use out of our big pot of basil in the yard. Nick managed half a sandwich without coming up for air. Both kids must be in growing spurts because lately they’ve been eating like two mini football players. For Madeline’s portion, I just deconstructed it a bit, giving her half a burger, a few slices of the cheese on the side and using the marinara sauce as dipping sauce. Give her something to dip her food in, and she’s a pretty happy camper. Hers was gone within minutes. Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Chicken Parmesan Burgers

I know I promised you guys at least one chocolate dessert recipe this week, but as you can tell I get distracted easily. My friend Sarah and I refer to it as Bright Shiny Things (BST) Syndrome. I know you understand. Next week, I promise, there will be chocolate and the round-up of new May recipes and who knows what else.

Have an awesome weekend full of rerows, laughter and good eats.

Project 365
June 3, 2010, Photo #105

Celebrating Memorial Day a little late

I was a little late in making this dessert for Memorial Day, but I guarantee you that when I put this on the table tonight, the kids didn’t give a whit what the calendar said.

Chicken Parmesan Burgers
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit magazine, March 2010

• 10 1/2-inch-thick slices French bread (4 inches in diameter); 8 slices toasted, 2 slices (crust removed) diced (instead of the two diced slices, I used Panko bread crumbs; I also used a wider Artisan loaf bread instead of French)
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (could use a bit less next time)
  • 4 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided, plus 12 large basil leaves
  • 3/4 cup purchased refrigerated marinara sauce
  • 12 ounces ground chicken (white meat) (I used 16 oz since it was prepackaged)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon grated onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
  • 4 large radicchio leaves (I used red leaf lettuce)

Blend diced bread and Parmesan in processor to fine crumbs. Transfer to pie dish; mix in 2 tablespoons minced basil.

Mix marinara and 2 tablespoons basil in small saucepan. Transfer 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce to large bowl. Add chicken, 1/2 tablespoon oil, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with pepper; blend. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties; coat with crumbs. Heat sauce over low heat.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until bottoms are crusty, 4 minutes. Turn patties over; top with cheese. Cook 3 minutes. Cover; cook until cooked through and cheese is melted, about 1 minute.

Assemble burgers with bread, radicchio, basil leaves, and warm marinara.

Tags: ,

stephanie June 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm
mandy June 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Yum, chicken parm is one of my favorites. I never thought it in “burger” form before though.

Joanne June 4, 2010 at 6:12 am

I’m pretty happy when dishes have a dipping sauce as well. There’s something about finger food action that is really satisfying.

I love chicken parm! Probably more so in these burgers…you get all of the flavor without the greasy breaded chicken.

Patsy June 4, 2010 at 7:59 am

Those burgers look great! And, who cares of the dessert is a little late… what a great treat!

Kris #40 June 4, 2010 at 8:07 am

Oh yum!

Cate June 4, 2010 at 8:08 am

Stephanie – awesome finds – totally perfect for her, she’ll love them – thanks a mil!

Patsy – exactly my thought, and a cooling way to end the pea soup humidity kind of day.

Joanne – I totally love dipping sauces and messy condiments too – all the better to devour our food. :)

Mandy – me neither, though I want to say Rachael Ray has a version. Joanne’s right though, waaaay less greasy and still just as tasty.

Sarah Caron June 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

That looks soooo good. Now I need to go dig out my copy of BA and see what other treasures that it holds. I love the idea of using a binder clip on the fridge to hold recipes. Good one!

Christy June 4, 2010 at 11:01 am

Yummy! I wonder how these would be on the grill??

paula June 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Wow! I’m a sucker for ground chicken recipes. Those burgers look great.

Lisa Ridgely June 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm

These look so good, and what a great idea for a new version of chicken parm! Pretty sure these will be a hit with my husband and little girl, too. Definitely going on the list for next week – thanks!!

Shirley Kelly June 5, 2010 at 7:53 am

Looks delicious! There’s a birthday in the family tomorrow. I can’t think of a better meal plan.

Jen June 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Oh wow – this looks delicious! What a beautiful chicken parm burger. I think that I could eat the whole thing without coming up for air!

stepho June 6, 2010 at 12:27 am

burgers look awesome!

a friend of mine loves the children’s place for her kids’ clothes. think madeline would like any of this stuff?

I did a quick search for “rainbow” on thefind.com and found a couple of cute things as well. the sequin dresses are a bit pricey, but SO adorable!

good luck on the rainbow quest!

Steph June 7, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Sandwich looks great!

I also suffer from BST Syndrome! Love that you named it – LOL!

Ramona June 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

I have that disease. I like your name for it! BST syndrome.

When I say “sparkkklllly, shiiiinnney” my husband knows exactly what I’m talking about.

The burger looks amazing.

Kris #40 June 8, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Made these tonight for dinner – AWESOME! My 9 year old daughter loved them – but had it deconstructed too because I forgot bread, but found a loaf of garlic bread from Costco in the freezer (thank goodness for defrost button on microwave!). I ate mine open-faced.

Quick and easy too!