Fall Fest 2010: Spinach Egg Breakfast Cups

by Cate on September 21, 2010

Spinach Egg Breakfast Cups

And just like that, in the mere blink of an eye, we are done with Summer.  It seems only fitting that our weekly Summerfest extravaganza ends today, the last official day of summer.  When I saw this week’s special ingredient was spinach, I was psyched.  Spinach and I are likethis.  Very unlike my fickle affair with stone fruit, spinach and I get together on a regular basis.

How about a nutritious breakfast that you can make in about two minutes?  That is another thing that is totally up my alley, because with getting all three of us ready and out the door every morning, my breakfast is usually something that takes low priority.  Don’t get me wrong, I have breakfast every day, but it’s usually super simple, low fuss type stuff (oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, egg white omelet).  Then the idea for these breakfast cups came along.  A perfect little cup of goodness to break up the monotony of my usual breakfast suspects.

As for the recipe?  It’s barely a recipe at all.  Assemble two ingredients, layer it and microwave.  Top with cheese and salsa.  Eat. Details below, but it really is that simple, and that’s just the way my day needs to start.  As uncomplicated as possible.

Now to see what the rest of my Fellow Fall Festers are doing with my favorite green leafy vegetable… (a few of the links will go live tomorrow, so don’t despair if they appear dead at first click)

Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Mixed Mushroom Ragout with Herb-Polenta Cake
Gilded Fork: Spicy Artichoke Spinach Dip, and a Dossier on Spinach
Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Spinach and Sausage Soup
Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Spinach Rotolo, a rolled ricotta and pasta extravaganza
Alison at Food2: Spinach Artichoke Dip
Michelle at Cooking Channel: Paneer With Spinach
Kirsten at FN Dish: Everyday Spinach Dishes with Giada
Liz at Healthy Eats: Mini Spinach-Mushroom Quiche
Food Network UK: Eggs florentine, brunch of champions
Simmer ‘Till Done: Spanakopita Scones
Margaret at A Way to Garden: Why I plant spinach late, and other tasty tidbits
Todd and Diane at White on Rice Couple: Tuna and Spinach Bruschetta

Project 365
September 21, 2010, Photo #167

Three Amigos

Growing up, we spent many family summers in Cape May and it (and the whole rest of the Jersey Shore) is still one of my favorite get-away spots.  During our vacations, my sister and I would make a daily sojourn to the arcade, armed with quarters and our eyes firmly fixed on Skee Ball and other arcade treasures.

At the end of our vacation, we would pool our prize tickets together and trade them in for a less than memorable toy or two that we couldn’t live without.  A visit to the arcade was never complete without a stop in the photo booth.  I loved those, and still do.  Years later, on many a bar crawl in Hoboken, my friends and I continued the tradition by squeezing into the photo booths after a night of drinking.  All those photo strips continue to be some of my favorite pictures to this day, although I won’t embarrass anyone by showing them here.

As you can see, it’s a tradition I’m continuing with my kids.  Of course, getting us all looking at the camera at the same time, and in the same frame, remains a challenge, but that’s where half the fun lies, isn’t it?

Spinach Egg Breakfast Cups
Recipe courtesy of Cate O’Malley

Fresh spinach leaves
Egg
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Salsa

In an individual ramekin, layer a few spinach leaves (depending on the size of the leaves, I usually use 6-8).  Crack egg and slide it on top of spinach leaves.  Add a few drops of water on top of egg.  Microwave until egg is cooked.  It takes about a minute, but I break it up into 12-15 second increments, because in my experience, if you do the full minute in one fell swoop, you’ll be cleaning off exploding egg from the inside of your microwave.  Once it’s done, top with shredded cheese and salsa.

Serves 1.

Tags: ,

mandy September 21, 2010 at 11:19 pm

That breakfast sounds so easy and simple! Love it. Thanks for the memory of the arcade and skee ball. That used to be a favorite game of mine. Perhaps I’ll go give it a whirl this weekend with friends. =) Love the photo booth pic of you and the kids.

Joanne September 22, 2010 at 6:13 am

I’m a total breakfast person and refuse to leave the house in the morning without eating something. i”m always looking for quick, easy, and healthy things and this is perfect!

The Sister In-Law September 22, 2010 at 7:27 am

I love photo booths as well. Have many strips as I was growing up. The boyfriend and I have started the tradition as well. We took them last and another this summer.

I love the picture!

SIL

beth September 22, 2010 at 8:40 am

yum! this is much akin to the breakfast cupcakes i have been making all summer, which are basically eggwhite greek omelets baked in cupcake pans or for some variety, a piece of canadian bacon, some sauteed veggies and a whole egg baked on top. i bake a week’s worth on sundays and presto – no thought needed for breakfast for the week!

Ramona September 22, 2010 at 11:09 am

I can’t ever remember being around a photo booth.

Your breakfast creation looks good.

Rachel September 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yum! I’ve never made eggs in a microwave before… looks super simple. Thanks!

sandhya@vegetarianirvana September 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

coincidence! I have a spinach breakfast post too ‘buttermilk spinach pancakes’ Please visit

Ranjani September 22, 2010 at 11:52 am

I usually think that it will take too long to make eggs for breakfast on a work day, but obviously you have proved me wrong! Must try this method
This week I made spinach pasta:

Kris #40 September 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Sounds like a yummy breakfast!

A change from my Almond Breeze Oatmeal.

Meg September 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Those breakfast cups sound great, and I love photobooths too! Such nostalgic fun.

Kathleen September 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I love spinach with eggs. Spinach is good with just about everything. Will be making this soon, thanks. I posted a page of spinach recipes for the reader to choose from for ‘Fall Fest’: http://dejavucook.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/spinach-spinach-and-more-spinach/

Stephanie @ Dollop of Cream September 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I think my husband will start drooling if I show him this picture around breakfast time!

My contribution to Fall Fest this week is about how adding the simplest things can make spinach seem delicious all by itself: http://www.dollopofcream.com/2010/09/good-spinach.html — Enjoy!

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free September 23, 2010 at 11:50 am

I know what you’re thinking: baby spinach in a smoothie? Yup. You don’t even know it’s there, honestly! Try my Triple Berry Smoothie and you’ll see what I mean: http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/07/triple-berrry-smoothie.html

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen September 23, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I love this. I often use leftover Indian style spinach and top it with a fried egg for breakfast! This would be even better. Anyway this is my contribution for the theme

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free September 23, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I love Fall Fest 2010! I love hearty soup recipes as well, especially the ones that are versatile and allow you to change up the ingredients. I made Curried Coconut, Spinach, and Mushroom Soup (gluten free, dairy, free, vegan). http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/09/fall-fest-2010-curried-coconut-spinach.html