Leftover Halloween candy gets put to good use in these Loaded M&M Cookie Bars.
We donated a large amount of our Halloween candy, and I’ve been working on being creative with what we have left ever since.
You know, so we don’t eat.it.all.
Last week, I made a cookie that was stuffed with Butterfingers, Kit-Kats, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Although I didn’t have any myself, I’d have to say that given the speed in which they disappeared, they were a hit.
Today’s recipe used up the four small packages of Oreo cookies that were in the Halloween stash, along with many, many packages of the M&M’s.
The rest of the M&M’s, keeping the peanut ones separate, I emptied into sealed containers and popped them into the baking cabinet for future baking pursuits.
Using a blondie bar recipe as the base, roughly chopped Oreos are mixed in, and then once the batter is in the pan, ready for baking, M&M’s are sprinkled on top.
I love that the recipe is for an 8×8 dish, the perfect size to save a few bars for the kids and share a few with some friends. I also love that no mixer is needed and it’s all in one bowl. Recipes like that totally get made more often because I’m all over anything that keeps my kitchen becoming less of a disaster. Mostly because I feel like I’m always fighting the good fight to keep up with dishes.
Even with a dishwasher.
Less than thirty minutes from start to mouth, the kids declared this one a keeper. Good texture, a slight crispy bite from the Oreos, and little bits of chocolatey goodness sprinkled in with the M&M’s.
If YOU have leftover Halloween stash you want to put to good use, or odds and ends in your cupboards, get to baking!
Tomorrow? A Baltimore restaurant review.
Loaded M&M Cookie Bars
Recipe courtesy of Averie Cooks
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
1 large egg
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
18 Oreo Cookies, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Let it cool for a minute and then add the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Stir in the Oreos.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly.
- Sprinkle the M&Ms over the top, lightly pressing them down with your fingers or a spatula.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until done based on add-ins used. Top should be set and edges slightly firm. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.