Satisfying Your Sweet Tooth with Nanaimo Bars

by Cate on July 19, 2007

I’ve seen the recipe for Nanaimo Bars (pronunciation here) posted quite a few times on the Cooking Light Bulletin Board, but even though I printed out the recipe a year or so back, I had never gotten around to making them. This weekend, for my mom’s birthday, I volunteered to bring dessert. My Dad gave me strict instructions to only bring ONE thing (because he knows full well I’ll usually bring a few things; more fun to have leftovers to feast off of!). Of course, I didn’t listen, but I only brought two things which, for me, is pretty darn good.

With the house quiet on Friday night, after I made Nicholas his Applesauce Muffins, I finally made a batch of the Nanaimo Bars. They are named after the second largest city on Vancouver Island in Canada and it is an interesting recipe. Three different layers, with chilling time in between each, there is no baking involved. A sinfully addicting little treat. Enjoy!

Nanaimo Bars
Recipe courtesy of Erin on Cooking Light Bulletin Board

Base
2 squares (oz.) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I skipped)
2 tablespoons sugar (I forgot!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Filling
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding or Bird’s Custard powder
2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar

Glaze
4 squares (oz.) semi-sweet chocolate
1 tablespoon butter

Procedure:
Base
Combine ingredients. Press into 9 inch square cake pan. Chill.

Filling
Combine butter, milk, and custard powder. Blend in confectioner’s sugar. Spread over base. Chill at least 15 minutes.

Glaze
Partially melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and stir until melted. Spread over custard layer. Chill. Store in refrigerator, covered, up to 1 month. Makes 24 bars.

Alisha July 19, 2007 at 5:46 am

Those look really good! I’ve been meaning to make some version of them as well but have never got around to it. Sounds perfect for the hot weather.

Barbara July 19, 2007 at 11:22 am

We went on a cruise 2 years ago to the Pacific Northwest and one of our Ports of Call was Nanaimo! And we did try the famous Nanaimo Bars while we were there. Yummy, gooey, and sweet! mmmmmm

Anonymous July 19, 2007 at 12:58 pm

They look so good.

But, way to many steps for me.

The Neighbors (wife)

Tart Reform July 19, 2007 at 4:30 pm

These look great, but 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar sounds like it would be sickeningly sweet. Could I use less sugar? (Yes, I know, I am the boring one who doesn’t like too much sugar. I just got over a sugar filled week and I want something plainer!)

Sue July 19, 2007 at 7:15 pm

OMG!!! I haven’t thought about those in years!!!!And I cannot remember where or when I used to make them, but yours look AWESOME!

Sue July 19, 2007 at 7:17 pm

PS
I don’t remember coconut OR custard powder in them.

Nerissa July 22, 2007 at 8:46 am

oh god… Nanaimo Bars? they are so sweet even I can’t eat much of them, sweet tooth or not!

I like my mom’s but sometimes it’s easier to eat the store bought stuff as it is actually LESS sweet, if you can believe it!

BTW Nanaimo is in my home province of BC, Canada.

Nerissa July 22, 2007 at 8:49 am

PS: your custard looks less yellow than I’m used to. I wonder why. I should ask Mom. (I don’t make them as I’d probably eat myself sick on too many)

stacey July 22, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Those look SO good. Initially I thought the white was a mint layer, making me think these were like giant peppermint patties (just b/c I LOVE mint) but even when I realized it wasn’t mint they sound GOOD.

Margarita Valli July 24, 2007 at 2:25 pm

One of the ladies at work makes Nanaimo Bars for Christmas every year. They are a special treat!!!Right up there with Buttertarts!!!