Enjoying Every Last Second of Summer

by Cate on September 1, 2009

Concrete Ducks-1

Yesterday I promised Nick that when Madeline finished her afternoon nap, we would go to the park.  She usually wakes up around 5 pm, just as I’m finishing work, so I figured we could get some playtime in before dinner.  Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans and all that…  She woke up around 6:45 pm.  It would have been so easy, too easy, to just push it off to another day, but a promise is a promise.  We headed off to the park, and I decided we’d just have a quick dinner when we got back.  I mean, if you can’t stay late at the park, have a late dinner and rearrange everything in the summer, when can you, right?

Slide Fun-1

Madeline hasn’t been to this park before.  As soon as I put her down on the ground, she starts making a quacking noise, pointing to ducks in the corner.  Steel ducks on a concrete spinning thing.  Wonderful.  My little daredevil Evil Knievel wants to ride around on a steel thing that is attached to a concrete thing.  With no seatbelts.  And doesn’t want me to hold her.  It’s enough to give me a heart attack.  Visions of things not pretty popped into my head as she went around… breathe… breathe … I spun it as slow as I could, riding that fine line between slow enough so I wouldn’t stress, but not so slow that she’d fuss for it to go faster.  Luckily after the fourth or fifth go-’round, she spotted the slide and wanted to explore something different.  Phew!

Keeping Up-1

Nick tried to hold her hand going up the few staggered steps to the slide.  “No, no, no,” she said in a sing-song voice as she wagged her little finger at him.  I tried to get a picture of her finger wagging – it’s just too cute – but she moves too fast.  She hates having help and always wants to do everything herself, stubborn little thing.  She let me hold her hand for the first step and wanted no part of it after that.

Happy Happy-1

After she got the hang of the slide, she went up the steps faster and faster, racing to get to the top, just to go down again.  She went down on her belly.  She went down head first.  She went down sideways.  She went down with Nick gently pulling her foot, making her go faster.  This one has no fear at all.

Whee-1

When Nick started working on the monkey bars, she tried to climb the steps to join him.  And then the see-saw.  And repeat.  Over and over again.  She was having so much fun, getting silly, and running all lopsided with her giddiness.  I’m surprised she didn’t fuss when we left an hour later, but think it might have just worn her out.

Helping Hand-1

Seeing how much fun they were having, it almost makes me sad that summer is quickly winding down, but also makes me determined to enjoy every last second of what’s left of it. Besides, there’s a whole ton of fun awaiting us with the next season too.

Waiting-1

Rest-1

Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Your children are so precious! I love the energy and pure enthusiasm of little kids. All they think about is the moment at hand (which playground attraction to run to now?) – I can take a reminder from that. :)

pamela September 1, 2009 at 11:25 pm

She looks like she is having a serious blast!

Starnesfam September 1, 2009 at 11:41 pm

What a sweet post. Yes, summer is the time to rearrange it all and go with the flow. Only time you can, really!

And, look at how lucky you are with those two cuties. Such blessings!

Joanne September 2, 2009 at 6:16 am

I loved this entry. Your kids are so adorable. Their antics never fail to make me laugh.

Sarah Caron September 2, 2009 at 8:19 am

Great photos and great story! Last night, I finished work late and still headed outside with the kids at dusk to play on the swings while I grilled up some pizza. We ran around like airplanes and it was just so much fun … I will be so sorry to see summer go.

mandy September 2, 2009 at 8:58 am

Those are the best summer nights. I am sad to see summer go as well, but am slowly remembering all the special things I love about fall.

Kris #40 September 2, 2009 at 11:36 am

Great pictures!

It is so sad to see summer ending. It’s dark at 5:45 am when I get up and now it’s dark by 8:00 pm. Wah!

We did a goodbye to summer photo session at the museum garden the other night.

The high school boy started today and we will begin making the trek to the bus stop with the 8 year old tomorrow. She’s all ready for 3rd grade.

Ramona September 2, 2009 at 4:09 pm

She had a blast. I’m sad to see summer fading away.
Ramona

Magda September 2, 2009 at 8:31 pm

I hate summer…too hot, too sunny, electric bill more than a small home’s mortgage payment and especially the dreaded white pants and uncomfy strappy sandles. I refuse to use my oven, or cook in the house in general because it heats up the house.

I like to wear black, feel a chill in the air, cuddle up with cozy socks and sweats with my family all together at night because it’s dark early. I look forward to Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

But mostly, I look forward to Labor Day Weekend so I can say GOODBYE SUMMER!!

BTW… I can’t believe how much Mad looks like you! You made a mini me!!

Patsy Kreitman September 2, 2009 at 9:02 pm

You are so right… if you can’t be spontaenous and rearrange dinner in the summer when can you? School will start soon enough and other activities will fill the evening hours… enjoy what’s left of summer! Looks like they had a fabulous time!

maris September 2, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Madeline doesn’t look like a baby anymore! She’s such a pretty little girl, so grown up since I started reading you about a year ago!

Cate September 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Lindsey – aren’t kids a great source to get little reminders like “slow day and enjoy every second” from? Love it.

Maris – I know, right? I happened across some pictures from her from earlier this year and she looks sooo different, especially the hair. There’s so much of it!

Patsy – exactly – one of the best things about summer!

Magda – I am with you all the way. And you know, if you moved back East, we could fix so many of those problems. Just sayin’.

Ramona – a little sad too, but can’t wait for Fall!

Kris – you are crazy with that 5:45 am wake-up call – ouch!

Mandy – yup! pumpkin and apple pick, cool fall breezes, Halloween, soup night …

Sarah – totally is all about the little things!

Joanne – aww, thanks!

Pamela – she was – she’s crazy, that little monkey!

Starnes – blessings indeed! I am very lucky!