Earlier this month, I debated if I could continue doing the new recipe round-up, because with the way we’ve been eating over the past month or so, there hasn’t been a lot of new-recipe-making-from-cookbooks. Or from any other place, for that matter. Our meals were quickly consisting of heavy rotations of stir-fries, grilled proteins and vegetables, salads, things on the fly with no recipe. But then the tides turned and I started finding more and more recipes that fit in with our eating lifestyle (four new recipes tonight alone!), so even though the June round-up is a tad tardy, I think we’ll be able to keep up with it. As long as the lack of chocolate (for now) doesn’t keep you away. ;)
- Turnip Green Soup – Paula Deen magazine. A decent hearty soup that isn’t so thick you can’t have it in the summertime. Reviewed here.
- Lemon Chicken with Potatoes – WW magazine, May/June 2009. Simple and easy, but not exceptional.
- Lindsay’s Chocolate Cafe Chocolate Chip Cookies – voted a “best of.” They were good, but didn’t wow us.
- Cheesy Rice Fritters – Food Network magazine. Very good, review coming.
- Zucchini Fritters – Michael Symon. Love these. Review coming.
- Open Chef Salad Sandwich – Cheeky Kitchen. Good quick meal that you can feel good about serving and eating. Reviewed here.
- Best Ever Banana Bread – I Am Baker. Good, but still like Nigella Lawson’s better.
- Mushroom Ramen – Food Network magazine, January/February 2010. Think it might be worth writing about, slightly on the fence.
- Beer Battered Fish and Chips – Cooking Light magazine, November 2009. Had such high hopes for this one, but nothing special and not repeatable.
- Veggie Quesadillas – Weight Watchers magazine, May/June 2010. Your average quesadilla, nuthin’ special.
- Gemelli with Spicy Sausage and Spinach – Woman’s Day magazine, May 2010. Not bad, nothing to write home about.
- Cucumber-Feta Toasts – Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food, July/August 2010. Love these. Made for the first time and reviewed here, and enjoyed several times since. Favorite of the month.
July 19, 2010, Photo #129
After dinner, we were outside in the backyard for awhile and all the sudden, I noticed the kitchen go dark. And the ceiling light come back on, but only faintly so. We rarely lose power here (maybe three times over the past nine years or so) and when we do, it comes right back on. This time it didn’t. My bet was a brown-out. Wonderful. Jamie had just gotten home and finished dinner, so we quickly got to work digging for matches and candles before we lost complete light. I remembered we had a bunch of those glowsticks, leftover from Halloween, in our seasonal drawer, and they were perfect. The kids had fun with them, and I used a bunch to light up the stairs for them, and added more in their room. In the meantime, we took ourselves back to the days of Laura Ingalls and Little House on the Prairie… no ac, no tv, no computer, no ice machine. Lots of talking, a little bit of laughter and a slight panic from the kids as they slowly realized just how much we use electricity on a regular basis. But two hours later, the power was back on and a peace fell over the land.