TGIF

by Cate on September 24, 2005

A few new cookbooks coming out, so get your credit cards ready. Paula Deen is releasing Paula Deen’s Kitchen Classics next month. You can pre-order it now, but before you do, be warned that this is a compilation of her first and second book, so if you have them, don’t get this one.

Quick on the heels of her first book, Giada DeLaurentiis is releasing Giada’s Family Dinners. This one isn’t coming out until the Spring, although it can be pre-ordered now. Interesting it took so long to release her first book and now the second one is coming out so soon after. Guess she’s striking while the iron is hot – no matter, I’m adding it to my collection!

And speaking of striking the iron, Rachael Ray, has yet another new show on Food Network, Rachael Ray’s Tasty Travels. I haven’t watched it yet, but have finally got it into Tivo. As much as I like Rachael Ray and the concept behind healthy meals in 30 minutes, this makes her fourth show for Food Network and I wonder if it’s a little overkill a la Emeril. There was a time not too long ago, that no matter what time you turned on the TV, Emeril was there, beaming right back at you with his hearty “Bam!” Now it seems the same for Rachael Ray. I do like her, but would have rather they kept Sara Moulton instead of adding another show for Rachael. Oh if I ran the world… or the Food Ntwork programming …. ;)

Now since we’re on the topic of programming, have you caught the first episode of The Apprentice: Martha Stewart? Although a lot like Donald’s version, it is different enough to be its own animal. She is definitely a kinder, gentler Martha. I’d like to believe that prison changed her into a softer version of her former self, but I could also be really naive. I won’t spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, but I think the right person went – what a dictator! And I think Jim should be next. Is it me or does Martha’s daughter seem to be devoid of personality? One thing I like on this one, that the Donald’s show doesn’t seem to offer quite as much, are the little nuggets of business wisdom she imparts throughout. Like on this episode, she kept emphasizing that they needed to make a “connection” with their consumer. Although it might be common sense, I think it’s easily forgotten. Tommy Hilfiger’s show, The Cut, was also good with dropping little pieces of business lessons throughout, which I really liked. Love her or hate her, you can’t dispute Martha’s amazing success story … only fifteen years from starting her own small catering business in her kitchen to where she is now. Amazing.

No dinner report tonight. It’s 9 pm and I’m at the office. I had a REALLY BAD DAY today, so The Husband, kind soul that he is, took Nicholas out for dinner somewhere and I came back to the office for some quiet and catch-up. Not really hungry, but I did find some Salt and Pepper chips buried in a desk drawer. Leaving here in about half-an-hour and think I’ll stop at the bookstore for a quick magazine check and a Mocha Frappuccino, a perfect way to end a perfectly horrid day.

New meme floating around the blogosphere, and this one is unique. This time it’s the 23/5 meme. The blogger tagged has to go to their 23rd post, find the 5th sentence, and then write something interesting about it on their blog.

Here are the official Rules:
Delve into your blog archive.
Find your 23rd post (or closest to).
Find the fifth sentence (or closest to).
Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions. Ponder it for meaning, subtext or hidden agendas…
Tag five people to do the same.

Interestingly enough, I kid you not, my 23rd post shown reflected on the departure of Sara Moulton. How freakin’ ironic is that? And to top it off, I wrote the first few paragraphs of today’s entry before a) I knew I was tagged and b) I looked up which post would qualify. Funny. Anyways, the fifth sentence is:

But from the small piece (taken from NY Post) below, it doesn’t sound like she was the impetus for this decision.

You’ll have to take a trip down memory lane to read the whole post to get the gist of the context, but I am still tickled at the irony, and more importantly, hope for even greater things for Sara.

Now to pass on the meme, I’m tagging Desert Culinary, Mona’s Apple, Eat Stuff, The Cooking Adventures of Paz and Taste Everything Once. Hope none of you have been tagged yet… hop to it!

And last, but certainly not least, round up your pups and take some pictures of them at their cutest, because this is the beginning of Weekend Dog Blogging (WDB) #2. I’m already up to 4 entries sent in, and I know you don’t want to be left out in the doghouse! Round-up will be posted late Sunday night.

Until tomorrow… holla back!

P.S. Happy Anniversary to The Neighbors!!! May there be many more wonderful years to come.

Jennifer September 24, 2005 at 1:51 am

Thanks for the tag! It should be interesting to go archive hunting. Does anyone cringe when they read old posts? I sometimes wonder what I was thinking!

Cate September 24, 2005 at 3:04 am

Oh definitely some cringing going on! And you want even more irony for the 23rd post meme? Today’s the 23rd. Too funny.

Clare Eats September 24, 2005 at 4:30 am

oooh! Sounds like fun!!!! YAY!

Punky September 24, 2005 at 4:45 am

I am sorry you had such a bad day. Hopefully your trip to the bookstore helped and you can have a good weekend. I just wanted to give you an entry for WDB #2. Its my little girl Gidget. You can see her http://www.busynightsrealfood.blogspot.com/

Have a great weekend.

Paz September 24, 2005 at 4:58 am

I love Paula, Giada and Rachael!

I’ve gotta agree about the overkill with Rachael, though — as much as I love her. Also did you know that she has another show (or maybe it’s this Tasty Travels” show with an audience coming out? They were supposed to start taping the show in August. They asked people who wanted to be part of the audience to fill out some sort of questionnaire, allowing some individual audience members to cook alongside with Rachael. Did you hear about that? It was not advertised on t.v., but on her Food Network site for a very short time. I was tempted to fill out the form but didn’t. Perhaps they’re not going through with that idea and instead will go through with the Tasty Travels show…. I just wanna know where Rachael gets all her energy. An isn’t she supposed to get married. When will she have the time….

Yes, bring back Sara Moulton!

I enjoy watching these reality shows but didn’t feel like watching Martha. Maybe I’ll catch it next week.

The Cut was fun to watch.

What an interesting meme! LOL! What a coincidence that your post was on Sara and you again commented on her in this present post…

Thanks for taggin me. Since I’m new, I’m not sure I have 23 posts, I’ll do my best with what I have. Should be really interesting. ;-)

Best,
Paz (who apologizes for the long comment)

Paz September 24, 2005 at 4:59 am

I trust your weekend will be much better, btw!

Paz

Paz September 24, 2005 at 5:09 am

Just read your earlier post on Sara. That’s pretty cool that you got to meet her. That post was in March. Is there any more news about what she’ll be doing? What were the results of the petitions? Do you know?

The bottomline, as you wrote is that Sara will be moving on to bigger and better things, I’m sure.

Paz

Paz September 24, 2005 at 5:23 am

Sorry, me again. *g* Just wanted to say that on Monday, I prepared a meal I saw demonstrated on Sara’s show — Arroz con Habichuelas (rice and beans), which came out perfectly. I really will miss Sara.

Paz (who promises this will be the last comment!)

mrs d September 24, 2005 at 6:13 am

What is it with the number 23, anyway?

Oh, and my puppy found out about Weekend Dog Blogging and is quite beside herself.

Sylvie September 24, 2005 at 4:51 pm

I also truly miss Sara Moulton’s shows. I find I spend more time after getting home from work on the internet with food blogs just because I have had enough of Rachael and Emeril. It would be nice if they would also bring back Tyler.

P.S. WDB #2 post is up

Cate September 25, 2005 at 1:43 am

Punky – thanks for participating. Check tomorrow night for the round-up. Yes, today was much better – thanks!

Paz – I recorded Tasty Travels, but haven’t seen it yet. I missed the finale of The Cut – for some reason, Tivo didn’t record it. Who won? Thanks for the heads up on Arroz con Habichuelas – The Husband and Nicholas are a big fan of rice and beans, so I’m off to search for the recipe.

Mrs. D – weird on the number 23, right? Thanks for sending in the pup pic! I loved your kitty one!

Sylvie said “I find I spend more time after getting home from work on the internet with food blogs just because I have had enough of Rachael and Emeril.” I know exactly what you mean!

Paz September 25, 2005 at 12:04 pm

Let me know what you think about Tasty Travels.

About The Cut: It was between Princess and the guy who always wears a cap. Don’t remember his name. The guy won.

Paz

Mona September 26, 2005 at 5:37 pm

So exciting! I’m it for the first time as a blogger! Love it!
Will get to work on this pronto! Sorry I was away for the past few days!