Smitten

by Cate on February 19, 2008

Princess Madeline
Slowly coming out of my self-imposed hibernation… it’s hard to believe that Madeline arrived a full week ago already! The last seven days have definitely been a blur, with one day blending into the next, filled with lots of tender moments, love and genuine adoration (and a definite lack of sleep!).

It’s so easy to forget what it’s like having a baby in the house, and all the little quirks that they bring with them. After all, it’s been awhile since Nicholas was a baby.

We are all positively smitten with her, and everyone has been caught more than once just staring at her while she sleeps. I think Nicholas has surprised me the most. The first day she was home, he took a chair from his bedroom and dragged it into hers, placing it gently in front of her crib, just watching her sleep. For an hour. And a half. Dutifully reporting to me every time she blinked, moved or breathed. Every time he is near her, he’s talking to her, singing to her or gently stroking her hair or her face. It’s sure been something to watch, and I am so incredibly proud of him.
Taking Care of Baby
Tomorrow things will slowly go back into a routine and I’ll start easing my way into the kitchen. Aside from break-and-bake cookies and a quicker-than-quick lasagna*, my time in the kitchen lately has been minimal, and barely existent. Luckily The Husband has been making dinner, and we’ve become fast friends with local take-out places. And, of course, our friends and family have brought over food and groceries during the past week. The best present you could ever give someone when they have a baby? Food! In any form or fashion.

Baby Madeline
Thank you for all your wonderful comments and e-mails over the past week – each one more touching than the next, and we thoroughly loved reading them.

Until tomorrow…

* On a recent episode of Rachael Ray’s talk show, she made Mile High Lasagna. While I didn’t follow the recipe, I remembered that she layered everything in a loaf pan, which is what I did. I had a box of no cook noodles, which I layered with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and various meats I found while foraging in the fridge. Put it in a 350 oven for half an hour, covered, then 15 minutes uncovered, then rested it for 15 minutes and an easy-peasy dinner was born.

Josie February 19, 2008 at 1:10 am

Cate… Madeleine is beautiful. Congratulations again!! Your description of Nicholas is precious.

I know you are busy with life :) but I tagged you:

Ricki February 19, 2008 at 1:14 am

Cate,

BIG congratulations! She is absolutely precious. I don’t know how you could keep a secret like that for nine months–amazing! All the best to you all :).

claire February 19, 2008 at 1:43 am

I just love how sweet Nicholas is being…Madeline is already so blessed with a great big brother! I love that picture with him talking to her, her looking in his eyes, and her little frog legs pulled up…I adore frog legs! :-) What a precious family you have.

Sarah February 19, 2008 at 2:50 am

That is so cute! I love how smitten Nicholas is with his little sister!

Betsy February 19, 2008 at 4:07 am

What a beautiful baby! Goodness, I want to squeeze her!

Val February 19, 2008 at 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing some new pictures, Cate. She is absolutely adorable! I love the picture with Nicholas too, he’s such the attentive big brother! So sweet :-)
Val

chris February 19, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Cant wait to come and see everyone. im so happy for you. glad your back posting as well. hahaha missed reading this in the morning.
chris

The Neighbor (Wife) February 19, 2008 at 2:28 pm

OMG! I feel like I’ve missed so much since we’ve all been sick. I can’t wait to see her again. She looks so much bigger all in just a week. WOW!

Very Cute!

RecipeGirl February 20, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Ahhhh- she’s darling. And it’s so touching that your son is so fascinated and loving toward her too. Enjoy your days with your new love!

Laurie Constantino February 20, 2008 at 9:23 pm

She is absolutely adorable, I can see why everyone is smitten. And your son is being so sweet. Glad to hear that both you and Madeline are doing well! (PS: Love the new look of your blog!)

The Sister In-Law February 21, 2008 at 11:43 am

She is adorable. I wanted to take her home with me :)

The Sister In-Law

Pamela February 22, 2008 at 2:11 am

Congratulations on your beautiful daughter. I am a big fan of SweetNicks and was very pleasantly surprised to see the newest addition to your family. For some reason, I remember thinking a while ago “is she pregnant??” I think it had something to do with you writing that you couldn’t eat something or wouldn’t eat something, and I thought it was strange. Anyway…She is so beautiful!!

I just had to post because reading this entry just made me tear up. Congrats and much happiness to everyone in the Sweetnicks home!!

The neighbor husband February 23, 2008 at 12:50 pm

She looks sooooooo cute. I can’t wait to hug her. I think I am almost well enough to be around her. Nothing like a little girl to hold.

Tracy February 25, 2008 at 3:57 am

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I missed this! Congratulations! She is beautiful! I am so glad big brother is enjoying her.