Eating Local: Apple and Peach Picking

by Cate on September 22, 2008

Apple Picking 08Come fall, we gather up the crew and head off to go apple picking at a nearby orchard.  Row after row of deliciously ripe apples, the trees are planted on a hill, so for each different variety, we’re hiking up.  Fresh air, exercise and food that doesn’t get more local, it makes for a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

This time, they had ripe peaches too, but those were strategically placed at the very top of the orchard (you know, like the milk on the other side of the grocery store entrance), so we staked out a small spot in the shade three-quarters of the way up and relaxed while The Husband volunteered to go to the top.  What a champ.  Hey, it’s not easy pushing the stroller through the sandy, apple-strewn grounds of the orchard.  As the kids and I sat for a few minutes and looked out over the vast fields, we caught a nice breeze and chomped away on the crisp apples we had grabbed so far.

MineYesterday the place was hopping, but considering they have a corn maze, a stone labyrinth, a hayride, a General Store and much, much more, it was no surprise.  We’ll be back in a few weeks to hunt down their newest apple varieties, and soon pumpkins as well, but in the meantime, it’s going to be homemade apple sauce, apple pie and apple cobblers.  And the peaches?  Perfect for eating as is, they’ll also be lightly roasted with a little bit of brown sugar for an easy and delicious topping for ice cream.

P.S.  Just for fun, last year’s apple picking adventures.

Hungry for more things to do with your apples?
The brilliant food photography that is La Tartine Gourmande is featuring Upside Down Apple Cake.
FX Cuisine has a very unusual Swiss Apple Pasta.
Eggs on Sunday recently made an Sausage, Cheddar and Apple Strata that now, at 10 pm, is making my mouth seriously water.
And lastly, Everybody Likes Sandwiches has a Curried Apple and Lentil Dal.

A year ago today… nothing.
Two years ago today… a new food blogger hits the net.
Three years ago today… family banana issues.

Sign

Hayride

Ripe for the Picking

I Can Reach It

Choosing the Right Tool

Painted Pumpkins

Fresh Peaches

But I Have No Teeth

Apple Picking

No tag for this post.

Sara September 22, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Cute pics! We have a huge granny smith apple tree in our yard, I’ve been making TONS of applesauce!

Saras last blog post..Double chocolate and allspice crumb muffins

claire September 22, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Looks like a lot of fun! The only “picking” I know of around here is pumpkin. Oh, well!

claires last blog post..Yummy Peppers

Patsy September 23, 2008 at 10:21 am

Looks like a great place for apple picking… making me want to clear the packed schedule for this weekend so we can go… perhaps the following weekend we’ll get there!

Patsys last blog post..Mexican Chicken Soft Tacos

ttfn300 September 23, 2008 at 11:54 am

I love the pics of Madeline with the apple!!! so cute :)

ttfn300s last blog post..Delicata Risotto

Darius T. Williams September 23, 2008 at 12:29 pm

You know – I’ve NEVER been apple or peach picking. I’d love to go.

-DTW

Darius T. Williamss last blog post..Let’s Have A Fiesta!

The Sister In-Law September 24, 2008 at 5:18 am

Look at the face… love it!

SIL

maris September 24, 2008 at 3:36 pm

How fun! Last year my best friend and I went apple picking and we brought her boyfriend along, which was kind of like going with children. But he isn’t NEARLY as cute as yours!

This is also an great apple recipe if you also like pumpkin: http://www.recipezaar.com/73469

Cate September 24, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Sara – I’ve actually never made applesauce before, until last night. So good!!

Maris – lol, sounds like a fun guy! Going to check out the recipe – thanks for the recommendation – still lots of apples to use up. :)

The SIL – how are you feeling?

Darius – ’tis the season. Check out http://www.pickyourown.org to find a place near you.

ttfn – thank you!

Patsy – I think the boys will have a blast. We’re going back next weekend.

Claire – pumpkin picking is just as good. Think we just have apple, peach and pumpkin but need to do some digging to see what else we’re missing out on.

jan September 25, 2008 at 10:00 am

has anyone else ever made peach butter? In previous years, I’ve made it and frozen it in small containers. Nice on toast or as a condiment.

Mrs Ergül September 25, 2008 at 10:54 am

I wanna pick my own apples too!

Mrs Ergüls last blog post..Pan-fried Salmon on a bed of French Beans