Are You Up for the $7 Dinner Challenge?

by Cate on October 8, 2008

BankWith the economy in question, it’s no surprise that families everywhere are looking for ways to save on everything from electricity to food. Fortunately, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to make a great meal on a budget.  That’s what The $7 Dinner Challenge is all about.

In doing The $7 Dinner Challenge, besides challenging ourselves (that would be Sarah and I), we want to make sure that what we’re making is accessible, so readers can actually make these meals for $7 as well.

Have a food blog and want to join in the fun? When we post on Monday nights, feel free to leave us a link with your post — the more the merrier.

The Ground Rules:

• You have $7 to create a complete dinner for four, to include the main course and either an appetizer or dessert.
  • Your meal must include a serving of vegetables for each person.
  • Items such as bread can be prorated (total cost of loaf/slices used).
  • Salt and pepper are free — no need to count these into the cost total.
  • No frozen meals. You actually have to make something (however it can have premade components).
  • You must state where you get your pricing info from, and it must be current to the date posted (as in, if the sale is over, the current price is the one that counts).

So if you’re looking for delicious food without breaking the bank, be sure to tune in every Monday night and see what we’re all cooking up … with just $7.

No tag for this post.

Sarah Caron October 8, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I am so excited to get started on this!!!

Sarah Carons last blog post..Are You Up for The $7 Dinner Challenge?

Judith in Umbria October 9, 2008 at 4:35 am

I’d do this happily, but I live in Europe so can I use 7 euro? Food is much more expensive here and always has been, but I can do this. I would have to invite eaters, because I am single.

Judith in Umbrias last blog post..No photos

Abby October 9, 2008 at 10:02 am

Oh I love this idea! It is only me and my husband but we are always wanting to have people over but seem to spend too much when we do, so we don’t. I’m looking to cook for 4 for only $7. YEAH! Can’t wait until Monday!

Bob October 9, 2008 at 11:00 am

This sounds exciting! Salt and pepper are free. Anything else? Olive oil, for instance? Chicken stock that is made from leftover carcass and vegetable scraps, how do we price that?

I am just looking for how to account for these types of things.

Bobs last blog post..Down 1,000

Dani October 9, 2008 at 1:07 pm

This is going to be awesome! I think I will make free-range balsamic chicken drumsticks. But what for the vegetable? Hmmm….

Emily October 9, 2008 at 5:46 pm

We’re giving away 4 Dozen Puget Sound Oysters (read: FREE)… so if you want a free appetizer or main dish, check it out

Look forward to seeing the $7 menus!

Patsy Kreitman October 9, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I love this idea! I’ll try to come up with something so I can participate! I would be great to get a few inexpensive meals to make a couple nights a week, so I’ll be checking back to see what you come up with!

Patsy Kreitmans last blog post..Crispy Chicken Strips

Bob October 13, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I am not quite certain as to how we are supposed to post our meals. We made our attempt at the $7 meal tonight. You can read how we did here.

Bobs last blog post..$7 Dinner Challenge

Tanya October 16, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Sweet! I was wondering what you’d do post ARF-5. Question, though: is it fair game to make it for 2 and prorate the price for 4 if there are things that don’t make good leftovers?

Tanyas last blog post..Welcome Home! Apple Pie!

Chez US October 16, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I totally want to do this; but, I need to know “total price” or $7 per person. We live in San Francisco and this will be a challenge. And is this still going on?

Thanks!

Chez USs last blog post..Wedding Night

Cate October 16, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Tanya – needed a break. :) And yes, absolutely on doing for 2 @ half the cost. Hope to see you Monday.

Chez US – Yes, still going on, every Monday night. $7 is for total price, but try your best. :)