Dropping the F Bomb

by Cate on March 25, 2009

“Mom, two of the kids in my class were saying bad words today,” Nick said to me last night.

“Really, what were they saying?” I asked.

“Well, they’re bad words, so I don’t want to say them,” he said, torn about what to do.

“If you’re just telling me about something someone said, it’s ok.  It’s if you’re using the bad words yourself that there’s a problem.  I can’t really say anything about what they said if I don’t know the words, you know?”

He thought about it for a minute.

“They said the s word.” (s for stupid)

“Stupid is a tough word.  It’s not a bad word like some others, but it depends on how it’s used.  Like if you call someone stupid, that wouldn’t be nice and that would hurt their feelings.”

He nodded.  He knows the drill.  We don’t say stupid.

“They also said the f word.”

Ok, now he had my full attention.  I turned around and asked, “The f word?”

“Yes, Mom.”

“What f word?” I was bracing myself.

“Frickin” he responded.

Ohhhh, that f word.  Phew!

No tag for this post.

Sarah March 25, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Okay, so you came up on my Google Alert and when I saw the title, I though “OMG, Cate does NOT do that! That’s something I would do!” Phew, on my assumption AND on the fact that Nick’s classmates didn’t say that.

Sarahs last blog post..Easy Broccoli Quiche

Claire March 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I had a similar conversation with a child in my choir at church tonight. So funny what children consider “letter” words!

Claires last blog post..A Perfect Match!

Carolyn Jung March 25, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Saved this time around. Whew! I’m sure he’ll hear the other F-bomb some day. But let’s hope it’s not anytime soon. Kids should be allowed to be kids for as long as they can.

Carolyn Jungs last blog post..Gorge-a-thon at the Chocolate Salon

Elyse March 26, 2009 at 1:42 am

Haha, that’s hysterical! This is a good stage for him to be at–hopefully no one enlightens him about any other “f” words.

Elyses last blog post..A bread to bring you luck…

Suzie March 26, 2009 at 2:57 am

What a cute story – I remember my kids having similar discussions. I also remember my youngest thinking the real F-word was the word for truck when she was even younger. Glad that phase passed quickly!

Suzies last blog post..Tomato and Goats Cheese Tarts

maris March 28, 2009 at 11:27 am

LOL! I remember when my brother was about Nick’s age, my mom wouldn’t let him watch the Simpsons but Dad would let him sneak it when she wasn’t around. Of course, he heard the woud “b-stard” on the show and then, it was all over!

Anything he wasn’t allowed to say was considered “bathroom” talk so he used to make up his own words. BOYS!

mariss last blog post..Skillet Cornbread with Caramelized Onions