Candyland Crafts

by Cate on May 7, 2009

Sugars
This is the store where sprinkle and sugar dreams are made.  I had completely forgotten all about this place until a friend mentioned it on Facebook recently.  She’s another crazy baker like me and we’ve enjoyed swapping tips and sources back and forth.  You know, she gets it.  She made those adorable sparkly wedding dress cookies below.  I asked her where she was getting all the cool sprinkles and sparkles and she reminded me about Candyland Crafts.  We used to go to a fantastic Cuban restaurant that’s actually across the street from this place, but haven’t been there in ages and I had forgotten this baker’s heaven even existed.  Thank goodness for Facebook!

wedding dress

Sprinkle Heaven
I headed down there this past weekend with Madeline and as soon as I lugged her stroller up the three steps inside the front door and turned down the sprinkle aisle, I might have gasped.  Just a little.  Whatever sprinkle or sugar you need (or didn’t know you needed) is right there for the taking, and at bargain prices, most are $2 a bottle.  Madeline’s eyes opened up wide as she took in all the colors (not just a color, but several shades of each color), and she put out her hands to ask for one.  I gave her the ones that I was buying to hold and within minutes her lap was full, holding on to the bottles as tightly as she could.

Want sugars to decorate your cupcakes or cookies?  Coarse, fine or sanding?  Whatever color you can imagine is right there for the taking.  Sprinkles?  Only the most adorable ones.  I found a fun graduation cap one that will be perfect for cupcakes for the babysitter next week as her graduation day looms, just days away.  Dolphins sprinkles for Nick?  Check.  Mickey Mouse sprinkles?  Check.  It’s a good thing I set myself a budget before I even stepped in the door.

Candyland Crafts
I arrived at the store shortly before they were closing, so I only checked out half of one aisle, but I promised Nick I would take him back this weekend since he missed out on the first trip.  I can’t wait to check out the cookie cutter aisle – hold me back!

And for those that might be sad because you don’t live close to the store, don’t worry, they ship!
Aisle

Candyland Crafts
201 West Main Street
Somerville NJ 08876
Telephone: (908) 685-0410

Tags: , , ,

Claire May 8, 2009 at 12:25 am

Oh, wow! That is so much fun! I love that cookie you made. Wonder if we have something like this around here…I could spend hours in there. For now, it’s just Hobby Lobby…and their baking stuff is kind of pricey b/c it’s Wilton.

Claires last blog post..O-reo, reoo-oh!

Culinary Wannabe May 8, 2009 at 6:28 am

Oh that store could be dangerous! Smart of you to set a budget!

Culinary Wannabes last blog post..Roasted Pepper Guacamole

Sarah Caron May 8, 2009 at 7:23 am

Oooooh. That can’t be that far. Is it extreme to take a road trip to go to a decorating store?

Sarah Carons last blog post..A Sweet Kick: Chipotle Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries

Cathy May 8, 2009 at 8:59 am

I wish we had something like that up here in Canada! That looks like a lot of fun.

Cathys last blog post..I want to go to Japan :(

Tyanne May 8, 2009 at 10:00 am

wow!! I wish they had that here. It would be so much fun.

noobcook May 8, 2009 at 10:02 am

wow, everything is so colourful and cute! ^o^ Thanks for visiting me, I’m glad to find your blog which is so nicely done up =)

Janet_Gourmet Traveller 88 May 8, 2009 at 10:05 am

I have to check if they will ship to Switzerland, it looks a heaven to me. I bought a cookie cutter online some time ago but still not used yet. It’s a high heel shoe shape : ) You triggered me to use that cutter soon to make some cookies! Thx for stopping by my blog, great to find yours.

paula May 8, 2009 at 10:38 am

We have an Amish store like that. I end up with sprinkle overload. Seriously, they are filling up my cupboards. I just brought three containers of sprinkles into my son’s preschool for their Mother’s Day cookies. I donated them generously because that gives me an excuse to buy more!

paulas last blog post..No recipe today

Nerissa May 8, 2009 at 10:53 am

Oh dear… you’d have to tie me up or remove my wallet to get me to walk out of such a store without anything. My sister, the baker, would be pretty hardpressed to do the same, I’m sure.

Kris #40 May 8, 2009 at 11:28 am

Did you have to show me this website? Now I have to go there. I had just found a store in Cranford that I was going to try – but this one looks way better to sprinkles for my Cupcake bites.

The Cranford store is

sweetnfancy dot com

Patsy May 8, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Holy Cow! I have to go there! What a cool place!

Patsys last blog post..Bunko Appetizer: Hot Artichoke Dip

Cynthia May 8, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Just the look alone inspires one to go into the kitchen and create.

Cynthias last blog post..Tasting What You Eat

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 8, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Wow, look at the range of goodies there! I think I would go totally mad there :lol: Love the cookies you made, so chic!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigellas last blog post..Look at what the Postman brought me…

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie May 8, 2009 at 11:11 pm

What a neat store! And the dress cookies is just adorable!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodies last blog post..Guilt-Free Chocolate Milkshake for Maman and Gourmand’s Smoothie/Shake Recipe Contest

Kris #40 May 9, 2009 at 2:43 pm

We went there this morning – I had fun! $54 later (my limit was $50) got some good stuff. The dh, son and daughter came along to help pick out stuff.

Karin @ MadeByK May 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Wow! I had no idea such places existed! Amazing. I could stare at these photos all night, but before clicking over to read this whole entry, I saw another tantalizing photo below (mmm, steak and broccoli!) and I suspect there are more. Must go see. I’m so glad you left me a note this evening, which brought me here.

Karin @ MadeByKs last blog post..The Start of Gardening Season

Keri May 10, 2009 at 2:20 am

What a fun blog you have!! Love those sprinkles! I have to really be on my best behavior when I go into our local cake decorating store. I could easily walk out with waaaay too much!

~Keri

Keris last blog post..Fair Fun.

maris May 10, 2009 at 2:59 pm

This place sounds like my dream come true!

Heather May 10, 2009 at 6:24 pm

whoa! that place looks so cool!!!!

Heathers last blog post..Mashed Potatoes with Ramps, Saffron and Smoked Paprika