How Old is Too Old?

by Cate on February 2, 2010

It’s always interesting to see where conversations lead.  Gather a bunch of different personalities (or even similar ones) in the same room, set a relaxing vibe with good food, and let the topics lead where they may.  Even without the presence of alcohol.  Sometimes especially so.  Tonight was one of those nights, and one of the topics that came up amongst friends was How Old is Too Old?  Our opinions for how old is too old to get a tattoo, nose piercing or belly ring definitely varied, and that leads me to you.

We’d love to know what you think to settle some of our friendly debates from tonight.  I think *some* of us might be off base.  Perhaps it’s me though.  I’ve never claimed to have my finger on the pulse of what’s socially acceptable or age-appropriate, but I also don’t think you shouldn’t do some things because someone thinks that you’re too old.  Sure, there are some things that we are too old for (that side ponytail that might have been hip in the 80s won’t exactly work on my nearly 40-year-old head), but there are some things that I think you should be able to do if you want to.  Feel free to add your own comment, or just take the survey (only three questions), or if you’re all about the food, then come back tomorrow, when the heaviest topic will be a new recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip, perfect timing to hit your Super Bowl Game Day table.

Project 365
February 2, 2010, Photo #33

Toothless Twosome

Love all the big toothy gaps in these smiles.  Love the rosy cheeks.  And yes, I know he needs a haircut.  So does his sister.  Desperately.  And they’re both getting shorn.  On Thursday.  Promise.

Tags: ,

Casey February 3, 2010 at 1:17 am

Loving the gummy smiles!

Enjoyed the questions…….I’m such a prude…..so I’m conservative with such. But, I also live by the rule of “do what makes you happy”. It’s so hard to be happy these days for so many right now.

So, I answered for myself. The rest of you……ink and pierce away!

Joanne February 3, 2010 at 7:13 am

Interesting conversation topic! I love the random things that come up when just sitting around with friends. Personally, I think that I’m even getting slightly too old for these things…but I’ve always been pretty conservative when it comes to the holes that I put in my body,. I like to ask myself – am I still going to want this when I’m 80?

LindainStLouis February 3, 2010 at 7:34 am

IMHO, you shouldn’t be pokin’ holes where they don’t belong. (And yes, back in my day, I had my ear lobes pierced; I paid for it every day til I let those holes close up, too.) And personally, I can’t stand the sight of tattoos.

Evie February 3, 2010 at 7:45 am

Once you get to a certain age, you really shouldn’t have to answer to anyone else’s idea of what’s appropriate. If I’m 95 and I want to get my belly button pierced, I AM GETTING MY BELLY BUTTON PIERCED, right? Also, you are totally capable of rocking the side ponytail.

Ramona February 3, 2010 at 10:12 am

I didn’t vote because you didn’t have the box – “Don’t like them” on your poll.

Sorry if this is morbid, but I always think of this when I see somebody covered in Tat’s or hole’s. 90 years old and dead. Somebody lookin at my old, wrinkled, dilapidated carcass and laughing their butt off.

Think the same thing when I see a woman with big ta ta’s. Laying on the table with same old, wrinkled dilapidated carcass and the girl’s are standing at attention.

But, also it’s your body and if you want to follow a fad. Go for it. Somebody invented and started all that junk to make money.

saramariesue February 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

I don’t think people should base what makes them happy on other peoples opinions when it comes to these “age appropriate ideas.” One year from 30 I would still love to get my belly button pierced and a couple more tattoos! And I have my nose pierced :) You don’t die at 30-35!

mandy February 3, 2010 at 11:53 am

I don’t know why, but I am surprised at some of the responses. Personally I don’t believe that one is ever too told to experience these things. I’ve pierced things that weren’t meant to be pierced. I have a tattoo that means a lot to me and I plan on adding others. Frankly what I chose to do to my body is my business and no one else’s. I understand where others are coming from and respect that position. My life philosophy is “live and let live.” One of my college mentors got her first tattoo when she was 58, I think , in her retirement years she has added another four or five with no plans on slowing down. I believe in doing what makes you happy, when it makes you happy regardless of age.

paula February 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Having turned 40 last year, age is a sore subject with me. I really don’t think any of these things are tied to a number. Tattoos and piercings aren’t always appropriate on younger people either. At least an older person is less likely to get a tattoo that they’ll regret later (they just don’t have as much ‘later’).

Debbie February 3, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Everyone should do what makes them happy regardless of age. The older you get the less limitations there really are…..

Leslie February 3, 2010 at 4:05 pm

phew..I am glad to see that people are still on board for tattoos! I am dying to get another one. A cute LITTLE cupcake on the inside of my wrist!

bbpizzapro February 3, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I have a different view. I have 5 tattoos (small) and had 2 piercings in my belly button. I had them done in my twenties. I am now 40 and although I don’t regret getting them. I sometimes wish they weren’t there. I think when you are older you have a better thought process. If you want one at or after 50 you know exactly how you will feel at that age.

krhm February 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Fun topic for conversation! I’m with Mandy on this. I haven’t necessarily followed any “rules” about other aspects of my life, such as when to have kids, etc, and I’m not about to start now. I got my only tattoo when I was 31, and it has great meaning to me. If I had the abs, I would absolutely rock a belly button piercing. But I keep trying the recipes I find here, so I do not show off my stomach, despite my time on the elliptical! :)

I think the difference is why…if you’re 45 but don’t know it, and you’re trying to recapture your youth or be cool, then a piercing or a tattoo can be kind of sad. But if you always wanted to but just never did, and if it has personal meaning for you, then I don’t think there’s ever an age limit!

anonlurkermom February 7, 2010 at 12:51 am

never pierce (other than one hole per ear for women for good jewelry) or tattoo