Recipe: Joe’s Crab Shack Crab Cakes

by Cate on September 14, 2011

Two nights of Aleve and rounds with IcyHot patches did nothing to help my neck, so today I made my way to the doctor. Who said she felt the spasms on the side of my neck. And sent me promptly to x-rays while guessing a herniated disc. I am purposely not going to google “herniated disc” because I don’t want to know worst case scenarios right now. Two days to wait for x-ray results and a prognosis. When I can’t turn my head left or right, I happen to think that’s a little crazy. In the meantime, I left with two prescriptions and the advice to get a heating pad and use it non-stop, rest, and not work. Oh yes, and no driving while taking one of the meds. I tried to explain that this is all well and good, but doesn’t really work for a single working mom. No work, no pay. And there is this matter of two kids that need constant care. So for now, I hope for the best and try to forget the story Mystic told me some months ago about when he had surgery for a herniated disc and was out of work, um, for awhile. Luckily his symptoms were way more severe, so me and my rose-colored glasses are pulling for a pinched nerve, pulled muscle, or something decidedly less serious than surgery and heavy recuperation.

OMG Crab Cakes
How about some crab cakes now instead?

We are super partial to Weight Watchers crab cakes and make them a few times a year, including for our annual New Years’ Eve Seafood Feast. But I saw this recipe the other day, from Easy Restaurant Recipes via Pinterest, and when I saw the directions, it seriously said make me now. No, it didn’t really say that. But it did say mix, fry and eat. When I said “stupid simple” yesterday, I meant it.

I changed a teensy bit of the recipe along the way, mostly to lighten it up and make use of ingredients I had on hand. I’ve never been to Joe’s Crab Shack so I can’t tell you if these are a good copycat recipe. What I CAN tell you is that they are amazingly good. Slightly crispy and full of crab goodness.  Simple to make. And totally worth ten minutes of your time. But then again, most things are worth ten minutes, right? Such a small investment.

Just one caveat. They were okay reheated, but not as out of the world as they were fresh from the pan, so best to eat them when you make them, and not save for later.

And with that, my kiddos are fed and bathed and moments from bed. Which means, time to reheat the heating pad and hit the hay, wishing miracle neck cures for the morning. A girl can dream, right?

A year ago today … need a way to use up the last of summer’s strawberries?  This is the ticket.
Two years ago today … breakfast for dinner?  why the heck not?
Three years ago today … ahh yes, the olden days when there was menu planning.
Four years ago today … Grilled Peanut Chicken, don’t mind if I do.
Five years ago today … guilty pleasures and clearly before I became a wordsmith.
Six years ago today … muffins, just muffins.

September 14, 2011 -Bonus Photos
The Sink Overfloweth
A few months back, my sink was empty, which prompted Mystic to comment, “so THAT’S what your sink looks like!” He was kidding, of course. He is just way better at the having-an-empty-sink thing and I, well, I know it will be there when I get to it. He’s very much a clean as you go cook. I am totally and completely not. I cook. Enjoy time with whoever. And deal with it later.  And I cook a lot so even though I empty the dishwasher at least once a day, sometimes twice, the sink fills up quickly.  We also don’t use disposable anything, so that doesn’t help.  Well, it helps the environment, not so much my workload in the kitchen.

So every time my sink is empty, I take a picture of it and text it to him. Just to bust him. But to change it up the other night, I texted him the overflowing picture with this message:
Text Message

All in good fun. One of the strong fibers in our relationship is humor. A topic for another day.

Joe’s Crab Shack Crab Cakes

2/3 cup mayonnaise
5 egg yolks
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon blackening seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup crushed, chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 lbs crabmeat

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together.
Make into 4 oz. patties
Coat with flour and fry in 1 inch of oil until golden brown.

Tags: , , , ,

patsy September 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Ok, I will now have to try that crab cake recipe… maybe a fall date to go crabbing is in my future!

I’ve got rose colored glasses on for you, too… glad to see the kids are already in bed so you can get that much needed rest!

Betsy September 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow! I agree stay away from Google.

My suggestion is to let your friends and family help you — you give so much, so you can certainly take some.

Oh, never made crab cakes, or used crab for that matter. Do I just get it at the fish counter at Whole Foods, or my local fish place? Anything to look out for/know?

Take Care.

Cate February 28, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Betsy – sorry I missed your question – ack! You can get crab at the seafood counter of your favorite grocery store (usually canned) or at your local fish monger.

Joanne September 15, 2011 at 6:24 am

I’m with Patsy…I’m hoping for something minor!

I made and ate crab cakes for the first time last year and was surprised how much I love them! Definitely trying these babies.

Candace September 15, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’ve never eaten Joe’s Crab Cakes; but, yours look fantastic. I need these in my life. soon. I hope your neck starts feeling better soon and that you get a good report from the doc.

Ramona September 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Sorry about your neck.

They look fantastic.

Sarah Caron September 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Swooon. What’d you serve ‘em with?

Belinda February 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Wonder if I could use this recipe with salmon?

neurotic mom February 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Just found your site looking for crab cake recipes and these look awesome can’t wait to try. Wondering if I could bake them instead of frying? and substituting salmon sounds awesome too!
Thanks for the great recipe!

Cate February 28, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I think they’d be fine baked (and with salmon!) as well, but I might just try spraying them with a little cooking spray or an egg wash before popping in the oven. If you try it, let us know how it worked. Now I’m craving these again…

neuroticmom January 5, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Never got back to this but yes I baked them and they were great! I used foil sprayed it a little with Pam and then sprayed the top of the crab cakes with a little Pam. I haven’t tried this recipe yet with salmon but I had found a similar recipe for salmon cakes that were suppose to be fried and I baked those also and they turned out great.

Sharon June 21, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe. Love crabcakes, I will try these soon. Also looking for a recipe for ‘Maryland-style’ crabcakes. I lived in Maryland as a small child and as I grew up my Mother & Father would always talk about the crabcakes they had in Maryland. Sorryvto go on as I did. Thank you for the recipe! Also wanted to tell you I hope you feel better soon[ (since this is June I'm sure you are) the last comment I read was from February]. But I did want to mention by your description it sounds like you had Torticollis-stiff neck. Search-out a good chiropractor. Many people and other doctors don’t like chiropractors but I have worked for one for 15 years and have seen about 98% of those patients come back-it’s a ‘healthy’ way to feel better. I’d better sign off, talk (text) too much!

cpmt March 10, 2013 at 10:47 am

did you try to google it? or youtube? (I don’t know how to do that but I know my daughter gets many of her recipes there).

linda timms September 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

where on earth is the recipe, all I see is descritions of them, but no recipe. Please send

neuroticmom March 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

1/4 teaspoon blackening seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup crushed, chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 lbs crabmeat

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together.
Make into 4 oz. patties
Coat with flour and fry in 1 inch of oil until golden brown.

jack December 22, 2012 at 6:24 pm

i had same with my neck dr sent me for surgery i went to criopractor with stretch you table and he did wonders for my neck

Carmel January 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm

What is blackening seasoning and what do you recommend? Could you leave that out without changing recipe too much of flavor? Is it very spicy? Thank you…look forward to making these.

Cate March 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

It’s a slightly spicy creole/cajun blend, and yes, you can leave it out and they will still be just as yummy.

whiskeyrose1 February 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Can’t wait 2 try this recipe ! How is your neck feeling ? Any better ?

Cate March 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

yes, thank you, all better!

whiskeyrose1 March 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm

That’s great ! Glad to hear it !

Ronnie May 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm

How long would you bake them

Gigi August 26, 2013 at 5:10 pm

These are good but not really that close to Joe’ Crab Shack crab cakes.
Theirs don’t have as much “filler” and have more crab. Try using Old Bay Seasoning instead of the other spices, one whole egg, no mayo and half the breadcrumbs. Joe’s is a really fun restaurant – Cajun style – great décor!

cpmt August 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm

thank you. I will try yours, Gigi. I don’t like lots of spices that take the taste of the natural food. I have only liked ONE place that have good (recipe) for crabs and French snails. I tried many places didn’t like any other.

Nora February 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Hi:
Making 4oz patties….how many patties can one expect to make of the whole recipe? Recipe sounds delicious(I love seafood!) and I will definitely try these.
Thanks, Nora