Cheese Delights

by Cate on April 10, 2008

Untitled

If you’re a long-time reader of Sweetnicks, you’ve no doubt heard me prattle on about the story behind Cheese Delights. Growing up, my parents used to entertain a lot, and this was one of my mom’s go-to appetizers. They would start in the living room with their guests and plates of finger food. When it was time for the main course, everyone would move into the dining room, and my mom would call me and my sister down to the kitchen, and we got to feast on the appetizers, Cheese Delights being a frequent and favorite one. Good times. Good times.

Surprisingly enough, as much as we love Cheese Delights, I’ve yet to post the recipe! Time to rectify that. A snap to whip up, it’s a great go-to quick appetizer when guests come over. I mean, really, a crispy English muffin topped with melty, gooey, cheesy goodness … how could you go wrong? They also freeze beautifully, so are perfect to have on hand when last minute company comes a’callin’. Enjoy!

Cheese Delights
6 English muffins, split in half
4 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
4 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup mayo (light works fine)
1 cup black olives, chopped fine

Lightly butter muffin halves. Mix remaining ingredients together to form a paste and spread on muffins. Broil until bubbly (watch, it goes quickly). Once cooled enough, cut into quarters. (Original directions has the cutting before the broiling, by the way, but I think it’s easier to cut afterwards).

Lori Lynn @ Taste With The Eyes April 10, 2008 at 9:28 pm

You’re inspiring me to have a retro dinner party. What decade did your parents serve this? Love it. You know how you go to all that trouble to make a fabulous appetizer, and everyone goes for the simple one? I have that situation with Lil Smokies which I will blog about soon. Funny.

foodmomiac April 10, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Oh, I like these. They are very similar to Ree’s Olive Cheese Bread but so much easier! My olive-loving daughter will be thrilled.

Mellisa April 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm

I love these. Have you tried Paula Dean’s Crabbies they are also very good. I toast my muffins first for extra crunch.

sharon April 10, 2008 at 11:02 pm

I’m not a huge olive fan, but I think these would be delicious with some mushrooms. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!

Maria April 11, 2008 at 5:26 am

Isn’t it funny how the simplest recipes are the tastiest? I make something similar using Pillusbury pizza dough/crescents, 2-3 different cheeses, parsley, and minced garlic. To give it a little kick, I sometimes add chopped pepperoni.

The Neighor (wife) April 11, 2008 at 8:43 am

I loved them!!! We need to make them again soon.

The Neighbor Husband April 11, 2008 at 8:47 am

I like olives but I would not put them in the love group. I will tell you that I LOVED them the other night and could not stop eating them. They were YUMMY.

Cate April 11, 2008 at 8:51 am

Lori Lynn – when I think of “retro,” I think of the 1950s. ;) If I had to put a date on these, I’d have to say mid-80s. Hard to believe we’ve been making them that long!

Sharon – ooh mushrooms sound like another good alternative.

Mellisa – Haven’t tried PD’s Crabbies, but imagine they’re similar to another Crabbies recipe I have. Delicious stuff, and another good freezable one.

Foodmomiac – will check out Ree’s recipes. She sure has gorgeous pictures, doesn’t she?

Maria – your version sounds like another great option. :)

ted August 31, 2008 at 10:07 am

i have tried ree,s olive cheese bread but will try these soon.the olive cheese bread was very good and froze well too.