A few years ago, when I started Sweetnicks (can you believe next month it will be five years?!), I did a monthly recipe round-up, listing all the new recipes I made during the month. I liked it because it was a quick trip down Memory Lane, recalling some new favorites and new duds, and after seeing the list every month, I felt I was making a good dent in my to-try recipe pile. Truth be told, I could probably make 30 new recipes every day from now until the day I die, and I won’t make a dent, so it’s purely a mind trick, but humor me.
One of my small goals this year was to start doing the monthly round-up again, so here we are. It’s fun to go back and see where our taste buds have taken us; I definitely quickly forget some of the recipes. Yes, even just a few short weeks later. All of the below were new recipes we tried in January. Some you haven’t seen here yet. Some of those you will, some you won’t (they just don’t make the cut).
- Booze Battered Shrimp – hands down, my favorite recipe from the month.
- Oatmeal Toffee Cookies – quick and easy cookies from Tasty Treasures that were liked by all.
- Three Herb Chicken Drumsticks – a Weight Watchers recipe that Nick and Gigi made recently for dinner. Easy peasy, and coming here soon.
- Gorgonzola Burgers with Cucumber Sauce – my number three favorite recipe from January. Loved the sauce and used it for many things after.
- Extra-Special Chocolate Chip Cookies – from Woman’s World magazine, the surprise addition of potato chips made this a favorite with Gigi, and pretty much anyone else who ate them.
- Oatmeal Carmelitas – made yesterday for two platters. Old recipe from Pillsbury, coming soon here.
- Charmin’ Cherry Bars – see above.
- Five Minute Lentil Soup – Definite soup weather here lately, this one comes from Martha Stewart, and you’ll see it here this week.
- One Bowl Easiest Ever Brownies – recipe from Tasty Treasures. Just didn’t do it for us.
- Sicilian Lentil Soup – made this one last week. Easy and makes a ton, so perfect for freezing for one batch servings to grab and go. Coming here soon.
- Turkey Piccata – full of flavor and super simple to make. Guilt-free.
- Bleu Cheese Onions – this was last week from Taste of Home and will be making many more appearances in our house. So very good.
- Not Your Mama’s Green Bean Casserole – loved, loved, loved this one. This was a fight for the #2 spot of favorite recipe this month, barely edging out the Gorgonzola Burgers.
- Artichoke Bread – a fun starter that was gobbled up even by those who don’t like artichokes. ‘Nuff said.
- Broccoli Pie – recipe from Stacey’s Snacks; a great thing to make in the beginning of the week and have for lunch all week long. Perfect recipe to change up based upon your family’s preferences.
- Meatloaf from Martha. I know the world is strongly divided into “hate it” and “love it,” but since I’m firmly in the “love it” camp, I was happy with this one. Coming here soon.
- Truck Stop Potatoes. They looked good. They sounded good. But the love affair ended there.
So that was our January. Can’t wait to see what February brings to our tastebuds. What about you? New favorite recipes from last month? Would love to hear about it!
February 1, 2010, Photo #32 (now comes the point where numbering the pictures is going to take a little thought!)
Diet Coke is clearly my drink of choice, but I can’t stand paying full price for a case, so when it’s on sale, I stock up. Fill the cup with crushed ice, pop a straw in it and drink up. Keeps Mama happy. Simple pleasures, people, simple pleasures.