Spring Bucket List 2012

by Cate on March 27, 2012

Sping 2012 Bucket List
For the past two years, the kids and I have had a Summer Bucket List (2011 and 2010).  I’m a big fan of such things, and so are they.  At the end of the day, it’s too easy to come home and just veg in front of the tv and do nothing.  And then the whole year has passed and it’s all “what did we do?”  Oh nothing.

Now don’t get me wrong.  I cherish our lazy, do nothing days.  I need them.  The kids need them.  No question.  But I don’t want a whole season full of nothing but do nothing days.  Although “balance is a false goal,” I want to pepper our do nothing days with fun memory-making moments for us.

One of my Top 5 favorite quotes sums it up perfectly.

I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.   – Diane Ackerman

Clipped
So the Bucket List.  It gives us those fun bits of activity to look forward to.  Things to plan.  Some cost absolutely nothing.  Some are a few bucks.  I try to mix it up.  Because, after all, fun isn’t about how much money you’re spending.  It’s about spending time with your family and friends.  Creating memories.  And moments.  Things that the kids will remember years from now when we’re knee-deep in teen angst.  When they have their own families to create memories with.  When they’re no longer my littles.

Earlier this year, after a dinner pow-wow, the kids and I decided to have seasonal Bucket Lists, instead of just a Summer one.  After all, there’s tons to do every season, why not take full advantage?  Of course, this would have been awesome if I got it posted last week.  You know, on the first day of Spring.  But I’m not quite that organized.

I hope that some of you that know us “in real life” will join us for some of our Spring memory making.  And those that don’t, that you are inspired to make your own Spring Bucket List.  If you do, I’d love to hear about what makes the cut.

Until then, Happy Spring!

Tomorrow… a recipe for a Lofthouse-style cookie.

March 27, 2012 – Bonus Photos
sprinkle mania

new sneakers

Spontaneous afternoon visits to a local dairy shop for ice cream.

It’s a good thing.

Despite the ridiculously low temperatures today.

girlies

beauties

Joanne March 28, 2012 at 6:22 am

I love the idea of living each day, of each season to its fullest and you’re right…so many weekends go by where I”m like…what did I even do?!?!? At the least there certainly isn’t enough ice cream being consumed :P I should get on that.

Cate March 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm

haha, between you and the kids, i think the ice cream nation is set.

Sarah March 28, 2012 at 8:02 am

I totally agree and wish I had made a bucket list for wintertime this year, since it feels like it passed us by. Of course, it didn’t, but you know …

paula March 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I have always kept a running list of things to do with the kids. I have to change my mindset this year. Usually we venture all over the place looking for fun but Nick is really into playing with his friends in the neighborhood now. On one hand, what a money-saver (not leaving the house). On the other hand, I miss getting out and the minute no one is around he wants to do something NOW. So now I’m concentrating on stay-at-home ideas and local trips with the kids and planning some grown-up fun for me when they’re with their dad.

christy March 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

I wish that I had a friend like you that lived close to do fun things with! I think you are a very cool rarity. :)

Cate March 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm

aw shucks, ma’am, very kind of you!

Meg March 28, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Excellent idea! I agree that we all occasionally need lazy, do-nothing days — that’s for sure — but it’s not good to look up and realize that entire months have passed without you doing anything extraordinary. My boyfriend and I constantly talk about the adventures we want to have, saying things like, “Oh, I really want to go there — when we can we go?” but we never set a real time. I’m trying to get better about saying, “This Saturday, let’s go here,” etc. It’s easy to push everything off on “someday.”

Cate March 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

exactly. i don’t want to look back on a life full of somedays…

Shannon March 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

this is such a good idea. it’s easy to think of all the things you want to do, but printing it out to see actually makes you do it!!!

Ramona March 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm

You are a fun mom. I know I’ve said that before.