Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light magazine, May 2004
The BLT sandwich is the inspiration for this tangy salad. You can make the chicken salad ahead, and place it in pita halves just before serving.
4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese (I used a bit more)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 6 ounces)
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half
Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring well. Combine lettuce, chicken, bacon, and tomatoes in a medium bowl, stirring well. Drizzle yogurt mixture over chicken mixture; toss gently to coat. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken salad into each pita half. Serve immediately.