Break Up Food

by Cate on December 16, 2006

The Sister-in-Law and her boyfriend just broke up, and she’s coming over for dinner tomorrow night. So, the question of the day is, what is YOUR favorite “break up food?” I vividly remember working my way through too much Haagen Dazs after a break up in my early 20s, spending time hanging out in my bedroom, refusing to change from my sweats, for the better part of three days. And I was the one that broke up with him! Then all the sudden, without giving it hard, focused thought, you turn the corner and that little voice inside you says, “enough already,” and all is instantly right with the world.

So what does it for you? Is it pure junk food? Do you go the comfort food route with the cheesiest mac and cheese you can conjure up? Or do you do a total 360 and go in the complete opposite direction … hitting the gym, eating cleanly and vowing to make him sorry the relationship ended the next time he sees you? What food gets you over a break-up?

I know what I’m making for dinner tomorrow, and there will be chocolate. ‘Nuff said. Until then…

A year ago today… mixed bag

Dani December 16, 2006 at 3:59 am

Break up Food? Whenever a guy broke up with me, I could not eat for days and went to the gym for 3 hours or longer every day.

But now, when I have a huge fight or whatever with The Husband, I go to the freezer and grab some Ice Cream. And those are the times when I don’t care if it is full fat or not ;) But thank god I haven’t had to do that in a long time….

t December 16, 2006 at 7:55 pm

i generally go to the gym *and* have some ice cream. but really it’s all about texture. anything that *feels* like mashed potatos or pudding is *so* in. my sister, though, needs things that crunch ’cause she gets mad.

Heather December 16, 2006 at 9:02 pm

I think pizza or mashed potatoes. They fix everything.
Chocoalte also works, but I have to have the salty with the sweet.

Kirsten December 16, 2006 at 9:34 pm

Break up food, huh? I didn’t date enough for that. But stress food I can do, having survived law school and two infants (not, thank heavens, at the same time). General Tao’s chicken and Java Chip ice cream.

Walter Jeffries December 16, 2006 at 10:59 pm

Eek! A favorite break up food! That would mean one would have to done it often enough to have developed a preference… Ack!!! :}

See http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/ for my weekend dog blogging entry of Saturn.

Cheers,

-WalterJ

Cate December 17, 2006 at 4:14 am

Dani – ahhh, I forgot about the “I can’t bear to look at food” category. ;)

t and Heather – mashed potatoes/comfort food is perfect!

Kirsten – stress food, I hear ya. I love the Java Chip. Starbucks used to make one with a white chocolate ripple through coffee ice cream that was out of this world. Haven’t seen it in a few years though.

Walter – LOL. Nah, you just know what’ll make you feel better. ;)

Vanessa (of vanesscipes) December 17, 2006 at 11:24 pm

anything that someone else makes you and delivers with kleenex, books, and movies.
Nice of you to help out!

Anonymous December 19, 2006 at 7:32 pm

Mac and Cheese and Cheetos (eaten separately).

Scott at Real Epicurean December 19, 2006 at 8:52 pm

Definately Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream. I think I’m the first guy to reply to this post – so I should act stereotypically and say “beer and crisps”?

Snarkmeister December 20, 2006 at 1:07 am

Hmmm…I vividly remember a horrible fight with Babydaddy (long before Rugrat came into the picture) after which I downed the better part of a bottle of rum. Straight. From. The. Bottle. It was not pleasant. I don’t think I’ve had any rum since…and that was about ten years ago.