Calling Your Cinco de Mayo Plans!

by Cate on May 3, 2007

I had been planning to have a small Cinco de Mayo fete for awhile now. The holiday is finally back on a Saturday, so I figured I might as well take advantage of that. The other day, my mom and I were talking about how expensive it can be to have parties sometimes, and I totally agree. Forget the food, if you get swept into decorations, alcohol and the like, the bottom line can definitely get away from you … and quickly. And that got me to thinking…

I like a challenge as much as the next person, so I decided to give myself one to make it interesting. There will be six adults and three kids, and I’m going to try and do it for $30. Someone doesn’t think I can do it. The Neighbors and The Newlywed Neighbors are going to be bringing a few things as well, so that will help to round it out. Don’t worry, it’s not going to be just a few cans of beans on the menu; there will be no shortage of food in my endeavor to meet my self-imposed challenge, I promise you. Having a well-stocked pantry will certainly help, and once I settle on a final menu, I’m going to hit the store tomorrow.

So that’s MY plan for our Cinco de Mayo this weekend. What’s yours? Throwing a party? And if so, what’s on YOUR menu?

A year ago today… inquiring minds want to know … do butterflies talk?
Two years ago today… a very unique you-either-love-it-or-hate-it recipe.

Madeline May 4, 2007 at 12:41 am

Clarification! I think you can do it, but not with the menu you are considering! Chips and salsa, some guac, quesadillas, yes, you could it. But you’re getting all fancy schmancy! ;)

Claire May 4, 2007 at 3:11 am

I’m impressed…I believe you can do it! No plans here, maybe go to a party but I’m not sure. We’ll see!

WhiteTrashBBQ May 4, 2007 at 4:11 am

No Cinco De Mayo in the Fernandez household. We’re meeting up with the relatives in Rumson and Locust, NJ for a first communion party followed by a Kentucky derby bash.

Prissy, fetch me a julep!

Dani May 4, 2007 at 5:38 am

I kinda already had my Cinco de Mayo Party this year when I did a Cinco de Mayo themed Grandplattern in my Garde Manger class.

I love your idea with the $30 challenge!

Heather May 4, 2007 at 12:54 pm

We are having a quarto de mayo party at work today. I brought the guacamole. Nothing big for tomorrow night as the rain and clouds have got me in the dumps.
But I definitely believe that you can do it for $30.

Alisha May 4, 2007 at 2:02 pm

Good luck with your challenge! I’m sure you can do it if you plan really well.

We’re not doing a Cinco De Mayo celebration, but a dragon themed birthday party for my 6 year old. And, no, there’s no way I can get by on $30 for this one!

Anonymous May 4, 2007 at 5:13 pm

I’ll be checking out the derby with some good food

the neighbor husband

Charise May 4, 2007 at 5:49 pm

If you are just counting the food in the $30, I bet you can do it for that many people.

I was planning on going to the Derby with some college friends who live in Louisville, but don’t want to deal with the rain all day.

So we are having a small get together here as well, most likely with chicken enchiladas, beans and rice, guac and chips, and perhaps some kind of chipotle-cinnamon-chocolate dessert. A lot of pantry items will come into play, so it shouldn’t be too expensive either. (until we add in all the Mexican beer for me and tequila for everyone else!)

Claire May 4, 2007 at 7:34 pm

I got bread for panzanella today…now i just have to get tomatoes! :-)

Cate May 5, 2007 at 4:27 am

Madeline – gotta have some challenge, right? ;)

Claire – no plans? My favorite kind of day!

WhiteTrashBBQ – next year, Kentucky Derby party, definitely. Drink one for me. :)

Dani – what did you guys make? Any can’t-live-without recipes?

Heather – love, love, love homemade guacamole. :)

Alisha – definitely no kids birthday party for $30 – don’t I wish!

The Neighbor Husband – what time is it on?

Charise – I had enchiladas on the menu for awhile, but then found the Mexican Roast Chicken and changed my mind … for like the 10th time.

Claire – can’t wait to hear what you think. :) What am I supposed to be making again?