Get Out and Vote

by Cate on November 3, 2008

Today as Nicholas climbed into the car after school, he told me who he is voting for.

“Mom, I’m voting for Barack Obama,” he said.  It’s so cute to hear how he says Barack’s name.  He says it correctly, but I guess it just sounds different coming out of the mouth of a six-year-old.

“Oh really?  How come?”

“We talked about it in school and that’s who I want to win.”

“And what about the other kids in your class?” I asked.

“Hundreds of them are voting for Barack … Michael is, Will is, Jordan is.  Everyone is.”

The “hundreds” is a slight exaggeration since his class has less than 20 kids, but we’re going to assume he meant the majority.

“And do you know who else is running for President?” I quizzed him.

“Yes, John McCain.  But I want Barack to win.  Remember when we had his chili for dinner?”

“Yes, yes, I do.”

“Well, it wasn’t very good but I still want him to win.”

Tomorrow they’re holding “elections” in his school.  I’m glad that they’re getting the kids involved at such a young age.  Both The Husband and I take Nicholas to the polls with us every time we vote.

“How come you have to vote, Mom?”

“Because we’re lucky that we can choose who we want to run the country.  Some countries can’t choose.”

“Oh.  I’m glad we live here.”

“Me too, Nicholas.”

After our discussion, he made a few stumping phone calls to family members, urging them to vote for Barack.  “Because he’s the better one!” So there.

Tomorrow night, I promised him that he could stay up a bit later to watch the returns, and he’s looking forward to it.  It sounds like a take-out kind of night to me.

No matter who you vote for tomorrow, just do it.   Because we can.

P.S. The $7 Dinner Challenge is taking off for this week, but in the meantime, we’d love it if you could fill out this super-quick survey.

Chefdruck November 3, 2008 at 11:09 pm

My daughter voted in class today too. It seemed to go to Obama – but there were wild rumors flying around that he would abolish SpongeBob and make school longer. I didn’t have a chance to meet you in person at the Leapster thing yesterday with all the swag grabbing, so here’s my virtual hello.

Chefdrucks last blog post..Statistically Insignificant Polling Results & a call for grassroots reporters

sharon November 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm

That’s an adorable story! It’s great that the schools are getting them engaged so early. :)

sharons last blog post..Ladies and Gents, we have a winner…and some biscuits!

The Sister In-Law November 4, 2008 at 7:20 am

His grandfather would be very proud. Dad would make us vote for every election… regardless. I remember him taking me the very first time I voted and I remember taking him his very last time. He could remember what he ate or if he took his med, but he remembered he had the right to vote and that he did!!

It’s a great thing the school is getting them involved so young.

Well I’m off to the polls.

SIL

ttfn300 November 4, 2008 at 9:16 am

you’ve gone and raised a great kid :)

ttfn300s last blog post..Bites from other blogs

Patsy November 4, 2008 at 9:25 am

That’s a great story! Both of my kids got to “vote” last week, and they voted for Obama as well. When I asked why… Aaron said it was because he was younger and the other guy was just too old! Don’t you just love the reasoning kids use?

Patsys last blog post..Chicken Cacciatore – My Way

Maris November 4, 2008 at 12:56 pm

My $7 challenge is off for the week too – i opted for the “wine and cheese night” challenge instead. I must say, it was just as satisfying as sticking to a budget :)

Mariss last blog post..Carboloading

nonizamboni November 4, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Here’s to an Obama win! I really enjoyed reading this cute antedote on election day. Thanks for sharing!

nonizambonis last blog post..Call me Cruciferae, but call me!

paula November 4, 2008 at 2:30 pm

It’s too funny, the similarities in our Nicholases. Yesterday my Nicholas came out of preschool talking about Barack Obama and I too was tickled hearing him say that name (he got it right too which is miraculous). He saw a campaign commercial later in the evening and he got so excited ‘Mom! I saw Barack Obama! It was him!’ LOL They said his name on the radio this morning and he got all excited ‘They said Barack Obama, Mom!’ Lordy am I glad they waited until the last day to teach that in preschool.

Also, at his birthday last year (family party), every time he opened a gift he exclaimed ‘What the …!’ over and over, with every package or card he opened. Everyone was cracking up.

paulas last blog post..Look what came in the mail!–Raisin Crumb Bars

Betsy November 4, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Sounds like the public schools are doing their job…humanists in the making.

Darius T. Williams November 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm

So true…let’s vote because we can!

-DTW

Darius T. Williamss last blog post..Soul Food Sunday – A Success

Carole R. November 5, 2008 at 1:57 am

WE DID IT!!!!!

jan November 5, 2008 at 10:20 am

We DID it!!!!
and I’m in my happy place.

Cate O'Malley November 5, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Chefdruck – sorry we missed each other. The word “vultures” comes to mind. ;) I love the SpongeBob rumors – too funny!

Jan, Betsy and Carole – :)

Darius – it says it all.

Paula – oh my, that is too funny how similar they are!

Noni – thank you!

Maris – wine and cheese sounds perfect. :) I love fixing a late night tapas plate. ;)

Patsy – too funny. The Girlfriend didn’t vote for McCain because “his hair is white and Obama’s is brown like” hers. :)

ttfn – thank you, we try. :)

The SIL – :)

Cate O’Malleys last blog post..Get Out and Vote

NJ Girl November 6, 2008 at 12:04 am

It’s very cute, but does the class even learn what his political views are?

NJ Girls last blog post..Sea Isle City in the Fall

Sylvie November 6, 2008 at 1:59 am

America the Beautiful. seen through the eyes of children. Hope and change are ahead.