But, of course, we all know it’s not that easy, is it? But the idea really isn’t about snapping out of your funk, but more so, redirecting your funkiness. A dear friend popped up on GoogleTalk late this afternoon and mentioned she was in a funk. Given the cold, wet, and downright dreary day we’ve had here in the Northeast today, I can’t say I blame her, but this funk was pre-weather. We’ve all been there. Sometimes more often than we care to admit. A big overwhelming feeling of the blahs. The I-don’t-want-to-do-anything thank you very much. But the question is … how best to defunk yourself? For me, it comes down to basically taking a mind break. Doing something that requires absolutely, positively zero brain power.
- Make a list of things that put you in your happy place. And go do one.
- Watch cartoons with the kids.
- Bake up a batch of homemade cookies. Nothing says defunk thyself more than a warm chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven.
- Take a nap.
- Grab a coloring book and a box of fresh Crayolas and go to town. In my early 20s, it was one of my favorite forms of therapy. And to this day, the reason why I have my very own set of markers and crayons that I don’t share with the kids.
- Clean out your pantry or a kitchen cabinet that overwhelms you. I don’t just mean rearrange everything. Empty it, wipe it down, throw away what you don’t need, donate what you don’t want, and put it all back. Neater. Better.
- Go through your shoe collection. What fits? What doesn’t? Toss, donate, trade, trash.
- Chick-lit. Invented for defunkifying sessions, no doubt.
- Purge. Whether it’s your filing cabinet, the top of your desk, or your nightstand, or a combination of all three, go through and purge. Nothing makes me breathe deeper than getting rid of stuff.
- Paint your nails. The Fall line of Essie is swoonworthy, just ask my friend, Beth. Take a few minutes, indulge in some me time, and pretty up those digits.
Would love to hear about YOUR ways to snap out of a funk – do share with the class! Although not currently in a funk, my mindless activity tonight included hole-punching millions of scalloped circles and butterflies. And I don’t think “millions” is an exaggeration. The circles are for a project I’m making for Madeline’s room (tutorial coming when it’s done), and with the scraps I had leftover, I made butterfly confetti. Butterfly confetti which can be yours with a purchase from my Etsy shop. Perfect for scrapbooking, a photo shoot, table decorating, or an upcoming fete, they are tiny, pretty, and all shades of pink. Doesn’t pink make everything better? Oh wait, that might be bacon. It makes me happy just to look at them. And now I can send YOU that happiness too.
Not enough of me today? You can go read how to take care of you in my Parent Society column. Like the article? Do spread the link love. They’ve signed on for two more articles for November – woot!
Alright my lovelies, I’m not sure if I’ll be popping in before Sunday … have a Senior photo shoot Saturday, and a mini get-out-of-dodge outing with the kids, Mystic, and crew Saturday night. If I don’t stop in before then, have an absolutely awesome weekend, filled with lots of fun, mindless activity, laughter, and love.