Homemade dog treats filled with peanut butter and bacon. The perfect thing to make for your favorite dog.
Last year, I wasn’t motivated to bake masses amounts of cookies for the holidays.
But this year, we more than made up for it.
I think between the kids and I, we ended up making about 15 different kinds of cookies, seven different kinds of fudge, and two rounds of homemade dog biscuits.
It was awesome.
We delivered cookie platters to friends and neighbors during Christmas week. And then did another round, this time with fudge platters, to more friends, favorite teachers, and, you know, our own kitchen counter stash.
And then, it was dog treats.
Because how could we neglect the favorite pups in our lives?
And, you know, bacon.
Because if there is ever an excuse to cook and crisp up a pound of bacon to snatch pieces from, we’ll find it.
And so Merry (and a handful of other dogs) got to enjoy these homemade Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats.
Heart-shaped of course.
Merry is an odd dog, base case. Very picky about her treats. And she doesn’t like peanut butter.
Which means that although we went ahead and made these anyway, I wasn’t holding out any hope that she might like them.
But in a true testament to her oddities, even though she despises peanut butter, she was all over these.
She knows exactly which container we keep them in.
What it sounds like when we open that container, even if she’s in the other room.
And devours them.
So much so that we have made several batches since the first.
Featuring all natural ingredients and no chemicals, preservatives, additives or any other junk you don’t want in your pet’s food, these are super simple to make with just a handful of items.
In fact, the kids and their babysitter made the first batch together.
If you have a pup that you want to spoil, they will love you forever for these treats.
Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats
Recipe from Sugar Dish Me
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Beat the chicken broth and peanut butter until creamy and smooth. Add the egg and continue to mix until the mixture looks smooth and slightly fluffy.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the crumbled bacon and fold in so the bacon pieces are evenly distributed.
- Roll out the dough out so it is about ¼” thick and then, using cookie or biscuit cutters, cut out shapes and place on a lightly greased baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn them over, and then bake for 15 more minutes.
- Let them cool completely and then store in an airtight container.